Technical Heater Control Bulbs - Bulb holder broke

Currently reading:
Technical Heater Control Bulbs - Bulb holder broke

Winterwolf

So just picked up a 2011 pop at the weekend, and drove it the other night and noticed the heating illumination bulbs have gone.

Took the dash off to find what looks like the previous owner tried, screwed it up, and gave up.

Its impossible to pull the bulbs out, as the little holders the bulbs sit in seem to have been pushed back behind the facia itself. So if I DID manage to get the bulb out, thers zero chance to push it back in.

The white facia piece behind the heating controls, is it an easy job to take off? .... Want to see if its possible to reattach the bulb holders to it.

28i41f9.jpg

2u93n8o.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't get them out either. I used a piece of kitchen roll ripped a strip off rolled it up a bit and used it as protection over the glass part. I then used long nose pliers and it eventually yanks out. The are just push in and pull out. Quite delicate, I actually broke the first one but managed to still pull it out when the pliers.

Give it a go

Cheers, but as per the pics, I won't be able to push in the new bulbs, as the bulb holders have become separated from its white plastic surround, so I'll be pushing them into thin air

Need to figure out how to get the white plastic mount section off
Wonder I f there's a workshop manual somewhere online

This doesn't really help, but it's a good way of looking at things and has stood me in good stead over the years ...............

It went in, therefore it'll come out. (y)

Yes, I know they could have used some sort of adhesive or even one-way clips, but if it went in, it must come out even if you crack/damage it. The white unit is only plastic, so it can be repaired.

Good luck,
Mick.

Cheers, but as per the pics, I won't be able to push in the new bulbs, as the bulb holders have become separated from its white plastic surround, so I'll be pushing them into thin air

Need to figure out how to get the white plastic mount section off
Wonder I f there's a workshop manual somewhere online

Couldn't make that out from the pics. When I took my dash out that whole part was exposed all the way round. It seems to protrude right out. It's probably only held in my 4 screws/bolts. Have a chat with Club500italia, he dismantles 500s. He could probably sell you a replacement too

Will do cheers guys

Like most things these days it's almost certainly clipped in, look around the outside edge for the clips. Also, if you look at the three splined shafts, grey, green and white, you can see a small tab at the base of each which will likely need to be aligned with the slot next to it before the panel can be pulled forward. The fan speed switch (cream, top left) looks like it just fitted on top of the panel.

These bulbs are very long-lived and I wonder how both might come to be blown at once.

It's my sisters car she just bought last weekend I'm helping fix all the niggle issues with m. So could have been gone for a while

I'll have a look properly for any additional clips next time I'm around

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Think you have to take the centre console out and the gearstick surround, that exposes it all.

There's one on eBay for £35

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301508753105?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Spot on thanks, so at least I know what the proper name is for it "DENSO REAR HEATER" And i can see on the ebay pic where the screws are.

So off I go to look for a guide on how to remove the gear surround on an auto ... Seen a guide for the top dash, thats pretty straight forward.

Cheers for all the help guys, I actually like this little car, might consider one myself for the next second car :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back