Technical Heater blows luke warm

Currently reading:
Technical Heater blows luke warm

To add, looking inside the expansion tank, the water is pretty dirty, looks like rust coloured slime on the inside of the cap.

Maybe it's blocked up with crud.

The rust coloured slime wouldn't be K-Seal would it? I have K-Seal in another car and it makes the coolant look rusty. If it is K-Seal there is a leak somewhere that someone has been trying to avoid repairing and could be leading to other symptoms.

I changed the anti freeze on our Sei about 18 months ago and since I did the heater has never been as hot. But I did put a 50% mix in. Anti freeze also acts as a summer coolant and stops the coolant getting hot as quickly. Might be worth looking at the anti freeze strength and using a weaker mix.

Ian.

Anti freeze also acts as a summer coolant and stops the coolant getting hot as quickly. Might be worth looking at the anti freeze strength and using a weaker mix.

Ian.

Wouldn't recommend a weaker mix in the winter.
Antifreeze doesn't stop the 'coolant' getting hot as quickly, it simply makes the water impure which, in turn, raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point. Antifreeze also contains other chemicals which are supposed to prevent rust.
The term 'coolant' simply refers to the general function ie, to cool the engine by passing through the rad where heat is lost to cooler air being blown over it.

If what you have in the system looks a bit rusty, I would agree with Fingers' about giving the system a good flush through.
And if someone has been pouring jollop in to plug a leak, they could have done more harm than good, that stuff collects in places where it shouldn't - it might be blocking the matrix, it might have coated the stat in the rad (so not allowing the fan to switch on at the correct temp...).
Rust coloured slime actually on the cap might also be an indication of oil getting into the water from the block (HG failing?)

Ok, so i used radflush 2 part and cleaned system out, not as much gunk came out as i thought would.

Replaced faulty thermostat

Filled with reverse osmosis water (i keep a reef marine tank) and anti-freeze.

Car seems fine now, no overheating.

I have a couple of very small leaks from the bottom of the radiator, can just see a little vapour coming out, but don't seem to be losing water in a big way, will get a new rad soon though.

Bought a compression tester, but have not used it yet, will test compression in the next few days.

Getting more heat from the heaters, better but still not great from the lower vent.

And ... i have no control over the tempreture, maybe the control wire has come off ..??

Anyway, thanks for all advice

Clutch next ...gulp

Mike

Back