General Heater blowing cold air help!

Currently reading:
General Heater blowing cold air help!

Hi,

I am not sure but the mechanic said if the water pump is changed it would be a good idea to change the cambelt as you shouldnt really put a used one back on.

He's right.
But first get the cylinder head checked and chemical flush the cooling system to clean out the crud thats developed with not using proper antifreeze.
This might cause some leaks but faults hidden by dirt are never good. You can then sort it out properly.

Hi,

A hose pipe was used to flush it as afar as i know, did u say u fitted a new heater matrix yourself? if so how hard was it?

Hi,

A hose pipe was used to flush it as afar as i know, did u say u fitted a new heater matrix yourself? if so how hard was it?

Hosepipe will never have enough pressure, the water pump pushes water around the engine at higher pressure.

only time a hosepipe is used for flushing is to get rid of old antifreeze more than to clear out the system

will never unblock a heater matrix like that. Chemical flushing is better.. but still not likely to clean out a heater matrix because of how the cooling system is all plumbed in.. essentially if the heatermatrix is blocked up, water will tend to just bypass it instead of being forced through it.

so generally only a new 1 is the way to go... especially if its corroded up, it may start leaking at some point.

Ive pulled the dash out before, but havent done a heater matrix just yet.. gotta do it this weekend.

Flushing chemicals as used in central heating will clear out sludge but they will also expose any holes. If the matrix has corroded patches** its best to swap for a new one.

**Green for copper grey for aluminium

But it can still be worth doing a chemical flush, though not when its likely to freeze overnight or if the car will be standing for long periods. It needs to be pumped around hot so the crud can dissolve and then be FULLY flushed out and refilled with proper coolant.

wouldnt use central heating flush.

theres proper products, like holts radiator flush.. the 2 part 1... not the 1 part.

Back