Technical Heater blower fuse melted.

Currently reading:
Technical Heater blower fuse melted.

Coopster

Hello guys,

I have searched the forum for my problem with no avail.. so thought i would ask the question..

My 99 Sei sporting heater fuse melted or caught fire a little? its melted the main fuse box the fuse sits in, I have tried to put a live wire to the numerous wires that goes in to the heater controls but nothing happens (i used a live wire with a fuse in to see if i could get it to run but nothing) I guess this is because there is a relay to go through the speeds hence why it kept blowing my temp fuse i kept trying on the different wires.

has anyone else have this problem? Where is the relay and is there any other fuses i need to check?

Any other advice would be mega..

Cheers :)

This is a strange one.

I would replace the fusebox. The speeds are controlled by a resistor pack sited near the fan motor (generally green, about the size of a box of Swan Vestas). If the fan won't work on full (or at all), generally the motor has bitten the dust, if the intermediate speed(s) don't work, usually it's the resistor pack.

Hi

The fuse box should not have taken any damage when the fuse blew, the contacts between the box and the fuse may have been poor, resistive and overheated.

Take two wires to the fan motor, one with fuse to see it it will run with 12v, both sides may be switched one on ignition key the other (the earth) on heater blower switch. Disconnect the connectors first...

Take the wire with fuse to the resistor pack terminals, it should not blow. DIsconnect the connectors first...

Borrow a multi meter if you can...

Noel

Last edited:
Hello guys! Thanks for all the replies!

Where to start lol im so confused!

I do have a complete new fusebox i just dont feel confident in myself to change this, I don't know which relay i am looking for is it under the engine bay next to a 75amp fuse? or where is the one in the dash fusebox?

The heater doesn't work at all on any speed, I didnt get chance to get to work on her today or dry the motor on a live / neutral to see if it will work..

I don't see how something like this could happen! I keep hearing about the ground only works when the cars started can i not just ground it on to the body and see if this makes a difference?

or is there any way i can just re wire the fan with a switch in? but then i don't know if ill be able to choose hot and cold is this choice my electric or is it manual?

Cheers guys :)

Fusebox will be an easy swap.

Wiring diagrams in the Seicento Technical Manual in the downloads section. You want Volume 4/Section 1/Climate Control.pdf.

Do check that the motor actually works before going any further.

The relay is on the fusebox.

is there any way i can just re wire the fan with a switch in?
Well, maybe. But it would be a lot easier to just fix the problem rather than do some dreadful bodge.

I am going out to the car later and i shall check the motor works then ill report back, How can you tell if there is a relay problem?

I don't want to do a bodge job but its got me baffled and its crap without a heater working in there at this time of year lol

Im thinking its a bigger problem than i can sort lol (n)

Hi

The only problem may be the fuse box, the relay, the resistor pack and the motor may be ok.

But even the auto has a dead short, replacing the fuse box is the 1st thing you need to do, if the fuse blows with the new fuse box, you then know you have a 2nd problem. But do use the correct fuse value(s). Indeed if the fuse is ok then you know the only problem is the fuse box.

If you had a multi meter you could test a relay properly.

Both sides of the motor are switched (in a cinq) one side (the live side) is via the ignition switch, the other side is via the heater fan switch (and resistor) down to earth. A wire with a bulb holder and crocodile clip (to earth) should light when touched to the live side of the starter motor, but unless you have the new fuse box in place. no light is probably due to fuse box kaput.

If you are not happy and confident a mate who understands auto electics is probably better than random replacements...

But just replace the fuse box... The fuse box should not melt, unless it is faulty, e.g. you have used aluminium foil or paper clip in place of a real fuse, or someone else has damaged the fuse sockets with (similar) foreign objects in the past, just to get home.

Noel

Hello guys thank you for the reply,

I have tried looking in the downloads for volume 4? It only goes up to 3..

I haven't looked at the blower i was replacing my window motor today.

Thanks for all the feedback i shall try everything once i find that download! :bang:

I tried to download number 3 and the file wont open on my computer i had to choose different programs adobe / word etc but says theres something wrong opening the document?

Re the manual.
Download parts 1, 2 & 3
They are all ".rar" files and will work with winrar or winzip, etc..
Un-zip part 1 and it will extract all three itself.
Then open "index.htm" and you will see the volume 4 mentioned above.

Re the manual.
Download parts 1, 2 & 3
They are all ".rar" files and will work with winrar or winzip, etc..
Un-zip part 1 and it will extract all three itself.
Then open "index.htm" and you will see the volume 4 mentioned above.

Dear God, whoever thought that up.....................:bang: remember the filing cabinet in the basement in the room with the sign "BEWARE THE LEOPARD!"

Dear God, whoever thought that up.....................:bang:"
Once all three parts are downloaded & extracted, you can also go straight to the pdf as below:
Wiring diagrams in the Seicento Technical Manual in the downloads section. You want Volume 4/Section 1/Climate Control.pdf.

The three parts in the download section are a split archive.
That probably needs making clear in there.

Last edited:
so far i have downloaded winzip and all three files but it wont let me open up the volume for it tries to open in my web browser but doesn't show anything?

Back