healthy meals for kids

Currently reading:
healthy meals for kids

arc

this is where i stand
Well.. after not working since christmas - i dived back in at the deep end. 10 and half hour shift on my feet, in a kitchen (well, in the lake for a bit too) - rather busy.

Anyway, i was chatting with the owner - and the subject of the jamie olivers school dinner program came up (don't get me started on the attitudes of the kids on that and the actions of their parents.. grrr).

It made us think tho, our kids menu at work (rather nice boat shaped beach-side cafe/bestro place doesnt have much better than school dinner food on the kids menu.

We sell fresh sandwhichs, baguettes and stuff too - but not aimed at kids.

So, suggestions - healthy kids meals, that arent too hard to do (it gets busy!) or expensive!

yeah - we have a full proper menu, all cooked by me.. or whichever chef is working!

smaller sandwhiches is a good idea, will put that forward defeintly (sandwhiches are done out front.. so its less work for me :D )

Will look into knocking up some pasta based stuff to

the only awkward thing with that, is they wont see it till they order it.. so even if the salads do look really good - if their not going to order them :(

dave - what you are suggestion would work in hotel catering, but not cafe stylé. Oven chips take a lot longer - and we have no real of knowing how much we're going to need. Customers hate waiting for things that they think are easy. Like today, we had some stroppy barsteward moaning his jacket spud and beans had taken 20mins. Fair enough if it was quiet, but people were queued out the door, and out of the 12 or so staff we normally have on busy days, there was 5. Impatient tosspot (!)

Theres only one person who can suggest a good meal for kids...someone that eats plenty of greens....someone weve not seen in a while.......BINKI THE FF RABBIT!!

dave said:
jacket spud and beans had taken 20mins, was it a microwave one? i hate going places and they cook them in microwave.

i would like to assume it was done in a Mealstream (merycheff) its a cross between a microwave and a oven sits at about 250C like a oven and has a 800watt microwave in it thus oven cooked food quickley. and crispy skin on jacket potatoe and soft middle.

If the kids won't see the food until it's served, why not make the descriptions on the menu board "funky" so the kids will want to order it ??

Pasta is definitely a good one. Especially using shapes and different flavours.
And what about "big" veg. Chunky carrot sticks and mange tout etc.

dave said:
jacket spud and beans had taken 20mins, was it a microwave one? i hate going places and they cook them in microwave.

it was oven cooked indeed - we do a lot of jacket spuds so tend to have some on all day (not cooking all day.. i mean theres pretty much always some ready). It took a while to do because there was around 30 meals in front of his, and if you start sending food out in an order thats massivly different to the order it all came in - customers complain about that too.

This is why i work in the kitchen, and don't deal with customers!

minislapper said:
If the kids won't see the food until it's served, why not make the descriptions on the menu board "funky" so the kids will want to order it ??

i agree that that is a really good idea.

I used to be a really bad eater when i was younger, so my mum made everything into shapes and fun stuff...you can make like someone else suggested smaller sandwiches, for kids and then shaped ones for the even smaller kids... and bright stuff is always good... if you made pasta, then add bright veg like yellow, red and green peppers cut up, just to make it a bit more interesting.

Pizza is the way forward! (y) Bread, cheese, tomato and various veg; so long as you don't do the takeaway-style greasy base then its dead healthy and kids love it.

Back