Technical Headlights turning themselves off and back on

Currently reading:
Technical Headlights turning themselves off and back on

Good evening all, it's been a while since I was here (I do apologize...)

I've been having problems with my headlights. Every now and then they switch themselves off and then back on again several times. The headlights go out and the dashboard lights get brighter as if having been turned off at the stalk. It first did this three weeks ago and then again this evening. I didn't think much of it when it first did it, thought it was having a wee tantrum at having to be driven a few hundred miles on New Year's Day - with which I could sympathize :-D

It happened again this evening. Only the wipers and the radio were on at the same time and I wasn't braking. Just going at a steady 30 down the main street after having been fired up five minutes beforehand (The previous time, it had done a hundred or so miles - can't remember what else I was doing controlwise at the time, but I know for sure that the radio would have been on).

Work permitting I'll hopefully get it to the dealer tomorrow before the service department closes. I can see that they'll ask me to keep an eye on it and won't be able to do anything because it's an intermittent fault and so on, we all know the script here...

Does anyone have any ideas what the cause could be? I've been having a very wet windscreen (inside) recently from condensation which has been running down the screen. Not on any other Windows though. I have read the thread relating to the condensation and can't find any damp or wetness as advised. I'm thinking the cause of the condensation could be related to what's happening with the lights?

If it's any help, the older style Panda had a similar problem with turning its lights off but it usually happened when you tried to indicate. That required a new light stalk to be fitted.

All done. Apparently there was also an issue with the start/stop system so they're keeping it in overnight to charge up the battery. Thought it was because I'd only been doing short journeys, but no. They're on the ball, will give them that!

Back