Technical Headlight misted up & cloudy!

Currently reading:
Technical Headlight misted up & cloudy!

For no reason, at all, no-ones fiddled with it or been near it, my passenger head light is condensated up. Theres no water in the bottom but the whole lens is almost covered. drivers is fine.

Have experienced little bits of condensation before but they have gone, never this much and its not shifting.

Does this mean a new headlight?

re: Headlight misted up & cloudy!

Snap,went to wash car yesterday and both my headlights are all misted up (n) hope its not a case of new lights.

From reading some of the threads its quite common, but i dont want to have to take the front end of my car apart to sort it out.

Going to try and drive around with lights on today and park it facing the sun, lets see if that clears it

Yep doing the same, just hope it works, like you said about the other threads,dont fancy taking the bumper off and messing around taking the lights out

Best thing to do is take the back covers off, drive around with headlights on to heat up and burn off the condensation, then refit the caps.

My N/S one has been fogged up for ages - it is also the same side with the buzzing leveller motor and broken dipped beam bulb :chin:

Just leaving it in the sun tends to get rid of it - plus it got through its MOT a few months back.

Stuart DemonD said:
My N/S one has been fogged up for ages - it is also the same side with the buzzing leveller motor and broken dipped beam bulb :chin:

Just leaving it in the sun tends to get rid of it - plus it got through its MOT a few months back.

Time to strip that side out then STu and sort it and its sunny now [sometims] but winter is on the way :(

Smear grease on the seal on the covers before fitting or even better renew (they are cheap) also quicker way to remove condensation is to put sheet white paper over light then switch on full beam....careful though they get bloody hot!
Have a look for small chips/cracks while there especially at the bottom.

I had this problem with both headlights about 3 months after buying car. The Driver side light went rusty inside.
I tried the old driving round with lights on and leaving covers off to clear but it always returned and left the inside of the light looking filthy where it had dried inside.
I complained to FIAT who (on this rare occasion were great!) told me that there was a problem with the early stilo lights and a design mod had been added to the headlights to cure this known problem (something to do with the seal if I recall) anyway I had a new set of lights replaced under warranty and touch wood, they have been fine since! (nearly 3 years) My local FIAT stealer has been known to tell the odd porky pie so don't quote me on the above as it may not be true!! but the lights are fine now!

The problem with trying to dry the lights yourself is that the condensation dries too quickly and ends up marking the inside of the lens cover so be careful as this looks bloody awful aswell!!!!

Shminkypinky said:
there was a problem with the early stilo lights and a design mod had been added to the headlights to cure this known problem (something to do with the seal if I recall)

Yes the seal on the cover as I mentioned above.Driving around with the covers off,as you found out,makes it worse.

My N/S one misted up the other day - i think the cause was too many puddles...

Back