Headlight loom upgrade.

Currently reading:
Headlight loom upgrade.

bloomfieldliam said:
On what exactly? Please be more specific and possibly you will get an answer quicker if you posted it in the specific section to which your query applies.

Liam

Thats the interesting thing about life, the way people think differantly. I find it both a source of amusement and frustration but always interesting. (y) I guess you could be right, but I'd have to say I'm more likely to be, simply because Im in possesion of all the facts against the slender few you have. :p

But for anyone who may be interested, I was reading about how the power can be less than desirable by the time it reaches the headlights, leading to dimmer lights than possible. I would presume Fiats are as likely if not more, to suffer from this and am interested in making a mini loom for my headlights.

Having the normal wiring going to relays then to thicker wires leading from the alternator or battery and earth, then to the headlights. Resulting in headlights running at maximum or near to max capacity.

I thought the best chance of getting a response was in this section, I seriously doubt the Brava tech section would have been. I would think that any question that could be non car specific would be better here, where theres more chance of it being seen ?

Now that I've furnished you with more of the facts, I hope you agree. (y)

the newer cars already use relays to swtich the lights.

i know on the cinqs, they dont though - and it has been discussed recently about re-wring them to lower the voltage drop to the lights. will be doing that on mine when i get round to it

I've not done it personally but I do know about it from integrale ownership as the headlamps are notorious for being poor and then burning the column switch out as people fit higher rated bulbs to compensate as they (like the Cinq I believe) have the power supply for the lights going through the column switch.

You are correct in assuming that if you wire in the requisite relays it will improve the light performance.

The easiest way to do it is buy a dedicated easy wiring kit meant for auxiliary spotlights which are available from Ring in Halfords and such places this also includes instructions on how to do it. They retail at about £20.

Aaron.

Heres the thing you're looking for, I woudl check but i think for headlamps it woud be prudent to use 2 kits one for each side, but don't quote me on that I'm just going on te kit that the now defunct Evo Engineering used to sell for intergrales for about £150 :eek: but was top quality kit which included bulbs special bulbs, of which the 'grale needs 4, as well.

http://www.motormania.co.uk/product_details.asp?intDescID=81&Manufacturer=Ring&Code=

Aaron.

don't need the switches or owt, just wire the relay to switch when the lights come on :)

I had a quick look at the diagrams and i think the main beam does go via a relay, so its just dipped that needs modding.

The relays from maplin are 40A, so can take upto 480w.. which is more than enough to do both lights :)

arc said:
the newer cars already use relays to swtich the lights.

I'm guessing a 99 Brava wouldn't ? Might be a idea to check before I rewire the car. :p

I'm going to give this a go anyway. I fancy the idea of making it myself because, well I like doing stuff myself. Thats half the fun, or a bit less than half, half the fun being the learning and planning a small part being the finished result.

I did a quick diagram, its not very good and probobally doesnt make much sense to anyone but me.

diagram.jpg

Not sure if its clear but I'm going to add the main beam to the high beam when thats on, but put it on a switch so I can remove them if I want. edit/ Just looking at some pics and it seems main beam comes on with high anyway, I checked it the other day and it seemed it didn't :confused:

I called in the scrappy quickly today and picked up a couple of bits, they let me have them for free, so thats a bonus.

relays_etc.jpg

The three red relays are 25a each, so they will do the three circuits.

I'm just puzzling over what to do with the headlight socket/plug it doesnt look very meaty or easy to beef up.

headlight_con.jpg

Anyone recognise the two connectors on this headlight, the bits between the two grey covers. Is the top one the heedlight connector and the bit below the motor to move the lights up and down ?

headlight_back.jpg

Still got some bits to find and some things to check, but I'm in for a mot on friday, so once thats out the way I can crack on.

Last edited:
Back