General headgasket

Currently reading:
General headgasket

skinnyvinny

just driving home from misses mothers house engine started jerking stoped at traffic lights pulled off and my car was smoking and there was no power,does this mean my headgasket as blown?:bang:

if the headgasket has blown under the oil cap there will be like a mayo substance, check that, if it is dont despair, its a reasonable fix :)

May have overheated or electrical problem also

You need to check the oil filler cap/coolant tank for mayonaise like deposits. If these are present, it indicates HG failure. Has the engine temperature remained normal? The loss of power could be caused by several things, e.g. loss of compression in one cylinder.

AppleSei said:
if the headgasket has blown under the oil cap there will be like a mayo substance, check that, if it is dont despair, its a reasonable fix :)

careful though, that doesn't always happen when it blows and mayo doesnt always mean blown HG either!

arc said:
careful though, that doesn't always happen when it blows and mayo doesnt always mean blown HG either!

In most cases then :)

Why qoute me i wasnt the only one to say the same thing :D

I'm half way through doing the HG on my cinq, and i'd say its fiddly but not that complicated. The Haynes gives a pretty good description with photos where needed. You do have to know your way around engines though.

There are some photos on my website for those that haven't seen them.

Cheers, John

Oi! Apple - you said there will be mayo, I said mayo indicates HG failure, so :p :nerner:

nitrane.co.uk said:
You do have to know your way around engines though.

not really, the first time i'd worked on an engine was when the HG blew on mine - got it all done, followed pretty much what the bible said to do - did a few things slightly differently though i think.

OK, what I meant was it helps if you do. For instance the two bolts underneath the inlet manifold that are a bit tricky to get to. Anyone who's got some experience of engines will have a trick or two to employ here. Of course its not as tricky as changing a clutch on a Mini, now those bolts are hard to extract!

John

hehe faerie nuff.

bolts under the inlet manifold.. no idea how to get to them, i left the manifolds on when i took the head off! (said i did it slightly differently!)

Back