Technical head gasket

Currently reading:
Technical head gasket

owenh123

Hi guys,

just found out from fiat that i need a new head gasket, they have quoted me 695 for this! Any idea how much cheaper i could get it done for elsewhere? Or any advice of what to do? Its a 51 so thats about half the value of the car, any advice would be greatly received.

Many thanks

WAY to expensive

Should be more like £300 for HG timing belt and waterpump

a 1.2 8valve, the quote youve had does seem a bit on the large side, unfortunately my repair times book is a bit out of date and doesnt list it, but i suggest you phone around all the local back street garages and compare quotes, dont tell any of them youve had a quote yet and see how it goes. much depends on labour rates which can vary greatly even from the back streets,
good luck

Why not give it a go your self?

It's not rocket science all you need is a standard toolkit & troque wrench (but I have did it before without one :D )

Parts list as follows: (Prices from shop4parts - some parts)

£51.43 (Headset)
£26.53 (timging belt Kit)
£9.36 (new headbolts) *up to you weather you replace or not
£17.98 (waterpump)
£4 (rad flush)
£13 + for new engine oil
£10 for new anti-freeze
£4 for new fan belt

Total cost £136.30

You could do this is a morning....easily

Martin

Just make sure you head is checked to make sure it doesnt need skimmed - no point doing the work if it isnt checked as it will be a waste of time & money!

Last edited:
Is there a trick to getting in and replacing the head gasket? The bolts on the exhaust manifold look like they've welded on with heat and age. So, in order to get access to the engine head, looks like I've gotta drill them out, how does everyone else get around this?

Drown the bolts in something cunning like penetrating oil or that freezing penetrating oil Wurth sell (Rostoff Ice).. Halfords also do a similar product.

Leave it to soak in and re-apply liberally.

Then put your best 13mm spanner (or socket) on there. If the nuts/bolt heads break up you can try tapping on a smaller socket (12mm) and using that instead. These bolts do tend to come undone "quite" easily though..

Don't refit the shagged bolts! Clean up the studs with a wire brush and use new nuts/screws ANYWHERE where the old one is even remotely kacked.

Failing that, you CAN lift the head off with the manifod attached, though then you have to separate the joint between manifold and header, which isn't a great deal easier.

Ralf S.

how are you going to lift head with exhaust maifold+pipe/cat still attached
yours gb

I have just taken head off a Punto 60S this evening. The nuts holding the exhaust manifold to the head looked rusted and impossible, but I just used a standard socket and they came out with no problem, although in most cases the studs came out instead of the nuts unscrewing. I am not sure whether to refit as stud/nut assemblies or remove nuts and refit studs. Maybe even best to buy new set of studs.
Note I had more problems with inlet manifold nuts. They looked good but there are two where you cannot fit a socket so used ring spanner. The nuts seemed very soft and one rounded off. Had to file down nut to almost thread then attack with screwdriver and hammer.
I removed head with both manifolds fitted, seemed easiest.

Paul

Use impact sockets (plain 6 sided ones) not the normal ones - will give a better gripe on the nut/bolt.

Plus gas is the thing to spray on them the night before. I found that if you spray them then start the engine let it get warm:D, let it cool a little then spray again this seems to make the nuts/bolts easier undone.

Martin

how are you going to lift head with exhaust maifold+pipe/cat still attached
yours gb

You separate the manifold from the downpipe at the joint by the crank. There's two studs with nuts on them there. They're usually rusted to buggery but they're easier to access (get the angle grinder on to) if the manifold to head nuts are really determined not going to come off.

Ralf S.

Back