Technical Head Gasket DIY help :)

Currently reading:
Technical Head Gasket DIY help :)

maskedmagicians

Hi head gasket on my fiat stilo 1.6 140k miles went around a month ago, got a few quotes from a few garages etc and didn't want to pay the money I was being quoted, decided to take it on myself. Engines been stripped back so just the block is left attached to car. heads been skimmed brought new head gasket, rocker cover gasket, cylinder head bolts new intake and exhaust manifold gasket, currently cleaning all the carbon deposits off of valves before reseating, also got new valve stem seals to fit just wondering if theres anything else any one would recommend doing whilst its apart... had to remove CAT to get cylinder head off and found that the honeycomb had melted inside so this has also been replaced also, im not a MECHANIC just quite handy when it comes to doing things myself any help most appreciated, also got work van so theres no rush for this to be back on the road at the moment :) much to my wifes despair

Water pump and belts are a good idea if you are that far.

got belts (cam & 2 x aux belts plus tensioners) will do water pump as well
smile.gif

You can also check thermostat while system drained. Make sure it closes properly then drop in boiling water to be sure it opens fully.

that's on my many things to do list lol, also ordered a new temp sensor and oil pressure sensor just to be on the safe side...

wouldn't know how I can test the oil pump? presume it'll involve removing sump to physically remove it?

Oil pump: test it with engine running, get a pressure gauge connected instead of the oil pressure switch/sender.

The best way to check oil pump is to check clearances with feeler gauge. A worn pump would indicate a worn engine in general so I would only bother if overhauling engine and even then put a new pump in anyway. Sensors should be OK. If they are not hard to get at just leave them.

Back