Technical Head Gasket? (again)

Currently reading:
Technical Head Gasket? (again)

Sorry, I know this is a common subject.

My fluids seem to be OK, but the levels have slowly been going down for a while. Yesterday, after a long drive in the rain (car fully warmed up), I heard a sizzling noise every few seconds after parking up. It sounded like cold water driping on a hot piece of metal.

So I opened the bonnet, but couldn't see any fluids. The fuild levels seemed OK, the engine bay looked dry, and I couldn't see any drips comming from the bottom. I gave a few things a tap including the tyres, but that didn't effect anything. Today, when it was dry and light, I had another look, tyre pressures were all good, fluids were OK, but there was a slight oily mess around my head :eek:. It's around the dip stick, and on the other side too (ie. both the left and right sides).

Does this sound like a head gasket failure, or is it likely to be a small drip from the dip stick which has managed to spread out and run to the other side of the head? It had better not go when the weather is cold :(

It's a V reg 899cc Sei SX, almost 50k miles. Oh the fluids looked a good colour, and there was no mayonaise in the filler cap. Has anybody else had the sizzling noise?

Oil or similar substance leaking down the outside of the engine is NOT head gasket, end of story.

Sizzling noise could be water dripping onto the exhaust from the drain on the front bulkhead or even water sprayed up onto the bulkhead while driving.

If the fluids are OK and the car is not overheating, relax.

Cheers

D

Ok, I suspect that there is something wrong. I've had 3 drips of oil on my driveway this week. The oil is comming from the back of the engine, and it is hard to see. When I look at the back it's all oily from the oil filter downward, but that could have been from when I changed the oil/filter or run down from higher up. From looking from above it was oily around the head.

There was also mayonnaise in the filler cap :eek:. I did a short trip on Thursday which would have probably left behind some mayo, but on Friday I did a 16 mile trip to work, and a 15 mile trip back from work. In 15 miles the mayo should have gone shouldn't it?

Water looks OK, and oil has been slowly going down for a long time. Any ideas where the oil could be comming from, and how to cure it?

Get a hold of some engine cleaner and remove all the old oil from the engine.
Its probably the rocker gasket that has gone hard so once the engine is clean you should see the oil coming from that area.

I presume you pre oiled the filter ring before fitting?

Cheers

D

rallycinq said:
Get a hold of some engine cleaner and remove all the old oil from the engine.
Its probably the rocker gasket that has gone hard so once the engine is clean you should see the oil coming from that area.

I presume you pre oiled the filter ring before fitting?

No, it's definately not the rocker cover gasket. It's completely dry around there. The rocker cover gasket was replace not long ago too.

The oil filter was pre oiled, and it's not loose either, I couldn't tighten it up any more by hand.

Back