HDi with a backbox?

Currently reading:
HDi with a backbox?

I currently have a Citroen C5 HDi.

I am thinking of fitting a backbox to it in order to have a more deeper exhaust note. However, I am unsure how the exhaust note from a diesel will sound with a backbox fitted?

The engine itself is very quiet and un-diesel sounding so it doesn't sound like 'a tractor' as most think every diesel does. Infact next to my dad's Petrol Vectra it's very hard to tell which is the diesel from engine sound note alone.

I intended, if I went ahead, to fit the same back box (new though) as I had fitted to my Bravo when I had that. The box was ideal to my taste as it gave a deep tone at both idle and at revs rather than the screaming sound that most fit to their cars.

I just don't want to go hacking off the exhaust and replacing it with the new one for it to sound no different or completely different to what I would like.

Any advice is welcome :)

Last edited:
You'll have to make sure there is one available for your citroen that was for the bravo

You cant go fitting any old thing on the back certainly not something that is for a different car

Also petrol exhaust exits tend to point straight, whereas a diesel one tends to point to the ground, unsure whether this will be an effect when choosing a backbox on a diesel especially on an older diesel vehicle, do you have to have the exit pointing the ground?

Last edited:
You'll have to make sure there is one available for your citroen that was for the bravo

You cant go fitting any old thing on the back certainly not something that is for a different car

Also petrol exhaust exits tend to point straight, whereas a diesel one tends to point to the ground, unsure whether this will be an effect when choosing a backbox on a diesel especially on an older diesel vehicle, do you have to have the exit pointing the ground?

The backbox I had on the Bravo was a universal box.

Yes the tail pipe points down as on most diesels, however, this is only designed to direct the soot towards the road rather than into the cars windscreen behind that you get from a diesel exhaust. I need not worry about that though as my C5 has a dog which means no soot from the exhaust.

Back