General Have I got a bargin

Currently reading:
General Have I got a bargin

I have just brought a 2004 54 plate blue punto hgt with just over 35000 miles on it for 1450. The reason it is this cheap is it has no history this is because the car was taken from its owner because he did not make any payments and has thrown paper work away also garage thinks its just a normal punto as they dont really look much different do they. Is there any way to check with fiat what if any service history it has. I have done a hpi check and came all clear so happy.

Already ahead of you ordered new service book. The garage is going to service it I am getting cam belt done with water pump as soon as I get it will take it to Avanti Autos in Ipswich. Might get service with this to get a extra stamp in book as I know the dealer will fit the cheapest oil and spark plugs for their service.

I recently bought a 54 reg 8v Active for £900, although it has 80,000 on the clock. I think I got a bargain, but time will tell.

The steering light came on each day for the first few days, but hasn't re-appeared for the last 2 and a half weeks. The car had been standing for a few weeks before I got it, so I'm hoping that regular use/ alternator charging the battery has cured this (fingers crossed!).

I have done 1000 miles in three weeks and the car runs well, slight hunting at tickover aside. I have lots of history with the car, it has had a new clutch and second-hand gearbox in the last year, as well as a new battery and 2 services.

I would advise you mate, when you get the v5 back, to ring the previous keeper and check out the garage's story. Ok, you may get an earful of abuse, or you may get some useful info. Worth the risk in my book. :)

DO NOT DRIVE THE HGT UNTIL THE CAM BELT HAS BEEN CHANGED

Seriously! It will almost certainly be well past its use by age (if not miles) and they get a set over the pulleys if not used and those areas of the cam belt will fail. Also change the variator as its a cam belt out again if it starts to rattle over the next 40,000 miles.

The chances are the battery is sulphated through dissuse, so if the steering starts to act-up check out the battery.

repossessed cars are usually ill maintained cars run by people with champagne thoughts but lemonade pockets
please do take the advice offered and get the car belted checked in the brakes dept etc and re oiled up afore you use it
:)

Did the outstanding finance/reposession show on the HPI? Why are the garage unaware that it is a HGT? They say the previous owner threw away all the documents, and they don't know what model they have. Lots of deniability there.
I would dig a bit deeper, Col, before I handed over my £1450.

Did the outstanding finance/reposession show on the HPI? Why are the garage unaware that it is a HGT? They say the previous owner threw away all the documents, and they don't know what model they have. Lots of deniability there.
I would dig a bit deeper, Col, before I handed over my £1450.

hes already shelled out

I have just brought a 2004 54 plate blue punto hgt with just over 35000 miles on it for 1450. The reason it is this cheap is it has no history this is because the car was taken from its owner because he did not make any payments and has thrown paper work away also garage thinks its just a normal punto as they dont really look much different do they. Is there any way to check with fiat what if any service history it has. I have done a hpi check and came all clear so happy.
I hope this works out ok for you. Some sound advice on here regarding what you must do right away. A bit surprised that the garage would admit that they couldn't tell the difference betwen an HGT and a "normal" Punto. Isn't that a bit like a dentist saying, "your teeth look real, but they could be false, they look so simlar these days".

Back