Technical Have anyone wired up the Genuine/Westfalia towbar?

Currently reading:
Technical Have anyone wired up the Genuine/Westfalia towbar?

Like the title says has anyone had a go at doing the wiring for the genuine Panda towbar which is actually made by Westfalia?

I've fitted the detachable towbar to my 2017 Lounge TA but I've not had a go at doing the wiring yet. The wiring installation for the rear part of the car looks relatively straight forward it's the front that I'm concerned about.

The instructions are for a left hand drive car and shows a bulkhead aperture that the wire to the fusebox passes through. The problem is I cant see it on my RHD car. I'm also battling to get the bonnet release handle off to take off the inner sill trim to run said wire.

If anyone's done this before your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Like the title says has anyone had a go at doing the wiring for the genuine Panda towbar which is actually made by Westfalia?

I've fitted the detachable towbar to my 2017 Lounge TA but I've not had a go at doing the wiring yet. The wiring installation for the rear part of the car looks relatively straight forward it's the front that I'm concerned about.

The instructions are for a left hand drive car and shows a bulkhead aperture that the wire to the fusebox passes through. The problem is I cant see it on my RHD car. I'm also battling to get the bonnet release handle off to take off the inner sill trim to run said wire.

If anyone's done this before your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, I had a go at this a few years ago. On the rear wiring I baulked at cutting the rather large hole in the boot floor albeit for the probably effective supplied grommet so I passed the loom through one of the soft rubber flaps which allows the vehicle to vent. Have a rummage in the spare wheel well or look under the car and you will see what I mean. I just couldn't bring myself to cut a hole (a big one at that) in the otherwise very well corrosion protected body.

The cable to the battery (are you sure you want the fuse box?) runs, as you say, under the interior sill trim. My (dimmed) recollection is that I was able to slip this up under the bottom edge of the trim although I think you do have to remove the rear seat cushion/pad(?)

Once at the front I didn't fancy the suggested route so ran it up (under) the front edge of the passenger door seal and popped it out and under the bonnet seal into the engine compartment. This means it is visible (if you have a critical eye) for about 25mm in the door shut area when the door is open and if you move your head from side to side to get the angle right!

Taking this route avoided the risk of leaving a leak path through the bulkhead. Finally, I didn't have to mess with the bonnet release.

I was pretty impressed with the kit as a whole especially with the underbonnet connection and cable tidy trim which was all very "OEM".

Good luck (especially with cutting the rear bumper... Use a jig saw or one of those little multitool things).

Back