Technical Has Anyone Fitted Front Brake Pads

Currently reading:
Technical Has Anyone Fitted Front Brake Pads

Hi

I have some pads which I was intending to fit to mine this weekend.

I will let you know

Cheers

Chris

Multipla uses same brake system as the Marea yes? If so its one of the easiest jobs you will ever do to a car. The only marginally tricky part is winding the caliper back in using a g-clamp (or caliper winding tool if you have one!)

Car up.
Wheel off.
13mm bolts out (hold pins still with 15mm spanner)
Remove caliper.
Remove old pads.
Replace new pads (file off paint on the top and bottom edges and coat with copper grease. Copper grease on back of pads can help reduce squeel)
Wind caliper piston back in with g-clamp, watch fluid level in reservoir.
Replace caliper (some pads come with new 13mm bolts)

Last edited:
Exactly as Hellcat said - no G cramp? can use the handle of a wooden hammer being very careful of the gators - I used this method with some cutting polish on the handle in contact with the calipers for grip and use the opposite side as a lever : loosen the brake fluid cap - have someone watch the level of the fluid as you push them back. I would suggest though you invest in a G cramp.

Cheers

Chris

This is rather an old thread I've dug out, but maybe someone else has some experience since. My Multi has ATE calipers, which I think are universal. Behind the sliding pins are two plastic caps that cover 7mm Allen head bolts. I assume these have to be undone to split the fixed from the moving part of the caliper, but I couldn't move one of these bolts. Am I doing it wrong or do I just need to get a bit medieval on them?

The Girling calipers on my Alfa work in the same way, but have 13mm conventional bolts and you have to hold the pins with a 15mm spanner, which sounds exactly as the procedure described by Hellcat above.

Last edited:
you are doing it right, bit more brute force needed. if you got the bottom bolt out you may be able to slide the caliper up wards, worth a try.

This is rather an old thread I've dug out, but maybe someone else has some experience since. My Multi has ATE calipers, which I think are universal. Behind the sliding pins are two plastic caps that cover 7mm Allen head bolts. I assume these have to be undone to split the fixed from the moving part of the caliper, but I couldn't move one of these bolts. Am I doing it wrong or do I just need to get a bit medieval on them?

The Girling calipers on my Alfa work in the same way, but have 13mm conventional bolts and you have to hold the pins with a 15mm spanner, which sounds exactly as the procedure described by Hellcat above.

Not sure why I mentioned 13 and 15mm bolts... That's the Tipo - think all bravo/a/marea/multipla had the slidey 7mm allen bolt thingies. Silly Hellcat.

How are you trying to undo them? With a 7mm allen key, or a allen socket? My experience has shown you need an allen socket to put enough force on it. They're a standard clockwise thread.

Not sure why I mentioned 13 and 15mm bolts... That's the Tipo - think all bravo/a/marea/multipla had the slidey 7mm allen bolt thingies. Silly Hellcat.

How are you trying to undo them? With a 7mm allen key, or a allen socket? My experience has shown you need an allen socket to put enough force on it. They're a standard clockwise thread.

I didn't have a 7mm so went out and bought one. It was about £5 for a big set of keys, £6 for a set of 1/8 drive sockets and £12 for 1/4. As I have loads of keys and sockets already, I went for the cheapest option. Looks like a false economy then and serve me right for being a tightwad.

I might try taking the key out of the set and slipping a bit of tube over it for more leverage.

Back