Technical Has anybodys clutch pedal white clip broken.

Currently reading:
Technical Has anybodys clutch pedal white clip broken.

Hi all,

fixed this today on my Bravo so felt obliged to share. Don't take it to a garage. Take to your local engineering workshop. Googling 'machine shop near me' should bring up the right thing. Go for a small local one as they will have a small manual lathe they don't mind turning one offs on for beer money. Here's the fix:

Use phosphor bronze as it's a maleable metal with a low coefficient of friction so it's quite happy rotating on itself as you press down the clutch.

Have them turn down one end to a diameter of 12mm at a length of 10mm. Run an M12 die down it. Turn the other end down (length about 14mm) to match the id of the plastic rod coming from the master cylinder (think it's half inch imperial but double check with a Vernier as I deal with lots of measurements in a day so I may have well forgotten). On this side use a 10mm ball drill to a depth of about 13mm. Castellate this end down 5mm with a hacksaw making a cross and then rotating and doing another cross for 8 castellations. Use pliers to press these inwards before taking the final cut on the lathe so that you have an outwards taper on the OD. Pull these back out and push over the ball joint on the pedal. Use pliers to really crimp it around the ball. Use a reamer to clean out the hole in the plastic rod (there's a little nipple that wants scatting off) then force that onto your new part and tighten with an M12 nut on the threaded end, forcing it on and really compressing the part around the ball. Now 100% fixed!

Should take about 20 minutes or so and will most likely cost you about £15. Show them this and they'll be able to make it up happily.

mine failed a few days back but ive already ordered the part and apparently you can swap the rods over so i might try that to save faffing and bleeding it.

really poor design plastic in plastic on a metal ball....so stupid and dangerous.

may i just ask anyone,is the cmc located behind the left side of the ecu's because the cmc Rod looks much lower in the car?? Dreading doing this but my clip and housing are both shot so i either need to change the Rod or the whole unit. Has anyone changed just the Rod? If i can get any advice i'd be forever greatful. Mine is currently bodged on with electrical tape to pack it tight in the housing but i know it wont last.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add my 2p to this. My 2008 m/jet 150 1.9tdi has just failed. When I looked in the footwell it has been modified with 2 pieces of cloth to make the ball joint thicker. I was very mad I'd been sold this without telling me.

Anyway I now need to get mine replaced. The master head cylinder is fine. It's just the white plastic clip. Currently it's sorted with black nasty tape and tie wraps.

I have ended up replacing the whole slave cylinder as I could not find the white fixing on its own

Hey mate. I had the exact same problem today and was quoted £60 for the part from a fiat garage... making it an exceptionally expensive piece of plastic.

Did you have any luck in the end? I am hoping that I can get mine fixed without having to order a whole part that I don't need.

Thanks
Hi would you have part number i have a fiat bravo 07 thanks Jerry

Back