General Hardtop

Currently reading:
General Hardtop

I adjusted the windows perfectly yesterday. Took a while but it was worth it.

Would anyone who doesn't have a hardtop like to sell me those brackets?

Same problem here. Holes drilled for brackets but no brackets fitted. I ordered them from Fiat (not bad, 4 days) but meantime made up a bodge of a small metal bracket screwed in the drilled hole with a plastic tie lock fixed around the spike. It worked fine..I suspect would do as a permanent job if I hadn't bothered with the right bits..

According to Eper they are £30 per bracket! For something the size of that I think i'll just get my friend to machine a couple for me...

According to Eper they are £30 per bracket! For something the size of that I think i'll just get my friend to machine a couple for me...

According to Fiat the roof comes with the complete fitting kit: brackets, electric bridge etc. The standard cars don't have any fittings bar the multipin plug down behind the driver seat. Parts guy reckoned that any B with the brackets, fusebox mod etc had been wearing a hardtop sometime in its past. The lid usually sold separately from the car itself (punter thinks he'll make more money).

According to Fiat the roof comes with the complete fitting kit: brackets, electric bridge etc. The standard cars don't have any fittings bar the multipin plug down behind the driver seat. Parts guy reckoned that any B with the brackets, fusebox mod etc had been wearing a hardtop sometime in its past. The lid usually sold separately from the car itself (punter thinks he'll make more money).

Thanks for that, that must mean at some point my car had a hardtop, because although it doesn't have the brackets, it has the fuse box mod....

Ironically the guy who sold the hard top had kept it for years to sell on separate from the car, unfortunately I offered a low price.

How much did the brackets cost you?

Am I being tight?

:)

Brackets cost me €40 (£35) the pair. Curiosly my car has the fusebox mod, no brackets and has never had a hardtop..I'm the second owner and I knew the guy who had the car from new.

You can make 'workround' mounting by screwing a 10mm angle bracket into the drilled hole inside the 'works' where the softtop mechanism lives..easier to see what I mean than to explain it.
Then use a tie lock between the spike and the hole in the other end of the bracket. Its much easier if you take the plastic shroud off so you can see from inside the car. Fiddly but it won't cost you 60 notes.

It could be that the later cars were further set up for a hardtop than the 95-99 cars, mine is a '00 too.

Do you come over to the UK often? Would love to see your car at Brooklands when it's completed!

HEHE!! I found one for 500€... what i now need is some info about attaching? i have '97 and not sure if is prepared for hardtop... there is some wire for heating behind seats... but not sure what else i need to have to attach hardtop. what i found; hardtop have some spikes... any help is welcome! thanks!!

Posts 38,39 and 40 have photos of the brackets that the spikes locate onto. Mine is also a 97 and it has the brackets and the wiring connector which is located next to the door pillar on the drivers side. You may have to put the bridging link into the fuse box but there are a number of posts about this. Mt hardtop is very good but the heated rear window has stopped working recently.

Best of luck

Steve

thanks bumble, so i need only those brackets... i found them on henk's page...

on front side you strengthen hardtop with those handles... and on rear side you just put those spikes into brackets? no need for additional strengthening on rear side?

The hardtop is held to the car at four points. The two handles at the top of the windscreen and an 'over centre' catch on each side of the hardtop next to the locating spike. I dont have a photo of these side catches but can get you a pic if you need one. The spikes can rattle against the inside of the car and Afroking suggested I pack mine out with a small piece of insulation. I used a small piece of plastic insulation from a 10mm electrical cable which gave an instant cure. Hope this helps.

Steve

thanks... so first you nail those spikes into side catches, and then tighten roof with handles. and that's it. there is no additional tightening on those side catches? it's not possible those spikes to slip out from those side catches because of wind?

thanks again for help...

hd2b.jpg

Back