Technical Handbrake suddenly loose

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake suddenly loose

mrnolegs

Hello,
I would be really grateful for some advice. I have a 2004 mk2b 1.2 8v Punto which has just passed its MOT. I parked it on the side of the road yesterday and I went to pull the handbrake up as usual but it was very very loose. It does hold in place but I have pulled it very far up which doesn't seem normal. I didn't hear any sound like a handbrake cable snapping so I'm not sure what's happened. Could it be one of the cables has snapped ? I luckily live on the flat in a cul de sac so I've parked the car front facing the curb in first gear with bricks behind the wheels.Didnt want to risk the car rolling anywhere !
I don't think I could attempt to fix this myself.
Does anyone know what the problem might be ? If one of the cables I r both have failed is it expensive to fix?
Thank you in advance for anyone who can advise :)

If its floppy and like really easy to lift then yes probably a snappes cable

Ive had 2 different cables snap on me....
And they definatly go with a good bang [emoji28]

If you remove the ash tray behind the handbrake (lift the little tray/pot thing up)
Then under that small hex or phillips
This will reveal thr half moon (equaliser bar)
As you pull this it should remain fairly level
If 1 side moves and the other dont
Then its a snapped cable
The one that moves is the snapped one

If 1 snaps
The other is not far behind

Zigfy

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I'll go and have a look and post an update every later. Thanks again :)

Just a thought there was no bang I heard so could it be anything else ?

Last edited:
Check equaliserbar forst as suggested, it could also be the handbrake cable "outer" disappearing inside the brake back plate held in place via a small clip affair ( see other handbrake threads on here for pictures or see parts exploded views ) , any brake noises, squeeks, rubbing etc..

probably just a broken cable inner....

Handbrake gable lever on the brake shoes is rusted and don't move.

There are several scenarios that could be causing this, only a full inspection of the system will tell you what is wrong. It could be something simple or you may have to replace things. Now is the time to service/replace if need be.

Back