Technical Handbrake Cable Replacement MK1

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake Cable Replacement MK1

aaron_uk

Hello
My Handbrake cable stapped while parking (big bang) and after calling a garage for a quote I decided to do it myself (Garage = £90, Parts ~£10).

I followed Haynes to the letter, removed the old cable and replace it with the new, apart from the bit on the backplate(Drivers side)

Haynes simply says:
"1. Prise the bung from the access hatch in the rear of the brake backplate (done)
2. Using pointed nose pliers, compress the cable spring and release the cable from the brake shoe lever (done - as illustrated)
3. Extract the hand brake outer cable from the backplate, then withdraw the end of the cable from the brake assembly (HELP)"

I've removed the rubber housing and all that remains is the cable as an outer spring (thingy), It looks like it's supposed to just PULL out but I can't see how thats possible, and haynes mentions nothing more on this.

Looking at the new cable it's appears as though it's not fixed so a good tug should retrieve it, but i've tried by hand, pliers everything but it won't budge. Once I get that out the new one should easily slot straight in (I hope)

Please Help

When you take off the rubber bung you should see the end of the handbake cable (with the little 'stopper') and this is held by a metal lug which is connected to the spring.

If you then pull / push the end of the cable towards the rear of the car using your long nose pliers you should be able to pop it out of the metal holder by pushing it towards the outside of the wheel. So - it's back then out. I found it a little fiddly, but give it a jiggle and it should pop free.

The only other thing is that you may have to hold the end of the cable away from it's holder as you remove the cable - just to stop it sitting itself back into place while you pull the whole cable free.

As a slight aside - i reckon the easiest way to get this done is to find a nic high kerb, park the side you need to change on the kerb, chock the wheels. IF the kerb is anything more than about 6 inches you should have plenty of room to get in under without having to use axel stands or any such madness. I managed to do it on a 3 inch kerb - and I'm quite large!

Thanks for the response!

I've since tried to remove it again but as a result the remaining (broken) section of cable has been pulled through, all that remains now is the spring - as I 'pull and push' this does nothing other than retract and expand, pulling harder mearly straightens the spring slightly.

Do you know if theres a way of getting to it by removing the wheel drum?

I do have Jacks, stands etc

Really appreciatte the help!!

EDIT!!
To Clarify
handbrake.jpg

1. The Old cable that I can't get out
2. The access Hole
3. The wire spring that once surrounded the cable (pulled through as mentioned)
4. the Brake Shoe Lever
5. The new cable that looks like it should "slot in and out"
6. The suspension arm I keep hitting my head on

Last edited:
jeebus - that springs mashed! :)

The holder I was referring to is the brake shoe lever - never was good with names.

From that situation, I'd say the quickest way to get it out is cut off the spring from either side of the brake shoe lever, looks like it's good and tangled up. Usually it's just the very end of the cable (the 'capped' bit) that slots into the brake shoe lever - it's this that needs to go back and out, this frees it from the lever. you see just below your No.4, where the spring is tangled around? there's a gap at the back of that piece that allows the cable to get free of it.

The old cable will be really tight at position 1, but it just pulls off, I'd suggest a really good pair of pliers, get a hold of it, and put a wedge of some sort behind the pliers to lever it out. You really do have to yank it, so watch for moving the car & watch your knuckles :)

You can get at it from the wheel hub too - if you look in the punto guides I think it outlines the procedure there.

hope this helps despite my half assed descriptions!

Thats awesome, exactly what I wanted to know.

The springs not tangled at all, it's just were I miss-understood waht you said and tried to pull it even more free.

With (#1) I've been pulling as hard as I Physically can but it wouldn't budge, I thought there might be a second holder or a Grommet that I couldn't see still holding it place. the old cable easily came out of the Brake shoe lever in 1 go but it's the old cable that won't budge.

Now I know it will come with a Tug i'll just keep giving that a go.

Thanks alot - will let you know !!

areet pal, well ive got a mk1 55s punto just had all new brakes in front and back and i did the handbrakes myself £8 for the cable garage wanted £60 :O you look like you got stuck were i was haha, once you got that spring out i used a screw driver.... the old cable you need to get a flat screw driver on it then bash it with the hammer (rubber one) until you get some movement i covered it with WD40 once i got a wiggle it more a less fell out!! (y)

once you've got the new spring connected put the new cable in the hole and same again get the flat screw driver and slightly hammer it until it plugs all the way in and jobs a good one it took me 40 minutes to do and its awesome :) any problems leave us a message hope this helps. (y)

SORTED!!

I soaked it in WD40 overnight and it still didn't budge and no matter how much pull I I gave it wouldn't come off at all.

In the end I resulted to Jacking the car up, Removing the wheel and Brake drum to look inside.
It's pretty tight but if you cut the spring you can see the inside of the hose. A long screw driver and a good couple of carefully placed bashes with a Mallet and it came free. Stuck the new one in (reluctantly went in most of the way with some 'gentle' persuasion and jobs a goodun)

Thanks alot for all the help Guys!! Much appreciated

glad you got it sorted - they definitely are tight little f'ers!

If you still have trouble, you get better access if you remove the drum, but you must watch out for the bearings, as the may become free.

Back