Halfords giving away free gunk !!

Currently reading:
Halfords giving away free gunk !!

bigmac2088

i was just browsing the halfords website and i came across some engine gunk which say £0.00

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...earch&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

that is the link to the site... i am going to go to the halfords near my house and going to get some of this gunk for free....

i have looked this up and it is false advertisement...... by law they have to give me this product for free as it says on the site.....

i have printed a page off the internet saying it is a criminal offence for them to mislead a customer so they have to give it the the customer for free :)

(y)(y)

if it was priced like that in store you would probably have more of a chance

i once got an 80 pound pair of snowboard gloves for a tenner coz they were priced wrong in a sale

i saw them priced for a tenner took them to the till they flashed up 80 pounds and the person behind the till got all confused, (so did i for that matter) then the manager said well you can have them for a tenner if thats how they were priced and then sent someone of to check if any more were priced wrong

By Law if they price it wrong in store then yes they do have to sell it to you. Online is different and also they can turn around and say that online prices are different to in store due to less staff and no need for store etc.

It used to be a law. I dont know if it has changed but if something is specifically marked up with a price at POS then the vendor is obliged to sell at that price. There was a clause that the Vendor could argue a case of reasonableness to trading standards.
With the internet and the increase of invitation to treat term probably means this is redundant now thinking about it.

Last edited:
It used to be a law. I dont know if it has changed but if something is specifically marked up with a price at POS then the vendor is obliged to sell at that price. There was a clause that the Vendor could argue a case of reasonableness to trading standards.
Well, not sure when - that was law when I studied Law back in 1991.

And I am sure that goes back to the 19th Century, I have never heard otherwise :)

No, it wasn't and never has been law. Stu Demon is completely right. The advertised price is only an invitiation to treat and does not constitute an offer. When you pick up the item, and take it to the till and try to purchase the item, you make an offer to the vendor. The vendor accepting payment is them accepting your offer.

There is no requirement to sell at the advertised price. Trading standards might want to get involved if a company is regular and deliberately attempting to mislead consumers mind.

You will find a lot of stores will honour the misprice instore as a gesture of goodwill, but they can't be forced to.

Well, not sure when - that was law when I studied Law back in 1991.

And I am sure that goes back to the 19th Century, I have never heard otherwise :)

Strange, i got a couple of Bargains through the years using that Law we were taught in Business studies at school. Not that we can believe half the Crap our clueless teachers spout in schools these days.
I used to hate Graphics at school. The teacher had so clearly never worked in industry. I ended up having to correct her in most lessons from what i had learned in the summers doing work experience in a Design Studio.

HA!......Baroom Barristers, they get everywhere :D

Fact is Halfords dont even have to let you in the shop never mind sell you something at the advertised price. The only way you could get away with a claim on false advertising is by proving they intentionally set out to mislead the customer. So ask yourself......... is any magistrate or jury going to disbelieve Halfords when they say quoting the incorrect price was a genuine mistake??

When things like this happen the seller usually goes through with the transaction purely for ggodwill/advertising/PR purposes....not because the law says they have to.

Last edited:
Back