Gym advice?

Currently reading:
Gym advice?

carlos1981

I saw a few gym related threads on here in the past, so anyone know how i can build up my upper body strength at home, spending as litle money as?

I'm goin the gym now weekends, just to get back into it, after that it will be 3-5 times a week again.

Just wanna catch up on me upper body strength again..

LOL Dave!

Used to have all my strength 2 years ago, but stopped the gym so most of it's gone now in 2nd week in the gym.

carlos1981 said:
LOL Dave!

Used to have all my strength 2 years ago, but stopped the gym so most of it's gone now in 2nd week in the gym.
what do you want, sinue strength or muscle bulk?:)

english is terrible... whats sinue??

But if that word don't matter, i wnna get me strength back, the muscle mass comes as i get stronger.

Don't wanna go huge, just get stronger really, loose a bit of the gut would be a bonus, saying that though, just lost 3 pounds in 1 week changing diet..

If you want to build muscle-mass the best option is to get in the gym, do some heavy low-rep sets and then let your body relax for a week; it won't help you not letting your muscles repair themselves between sets.

I generally do the following:

Monday = Chest
Tuesday = Biceps
Wednesday = Shoulders
Thursday = Back
Friday = Triceps

I don't do legs as I get all the strength I need from running, which I do for 20 minutes each morning (at 7am :D ), and then follow with the weight sessions

As you will probably know, muscle-mass is created by 'ripping' the muscle and then it repairs itself stronger; you have to let it repair between sessions, though otherwise you won't get the benefit and end-up injuring yourself. The rest is as important as the excercise (y)

Also, don't forget Cardio to keep your heart and circulation strong; I do mine before the weight training rather than after.

What diet are you on? Keep the complex carbs before excercise and straight after (bowl of cerial an hour before and a banana afterwards), loose the fat from your diet and enjoy protein a few hours after training and that will help a great deal

Do that for 2/3 months and you will notice the difference

p.s. keep off the booze. However, if you can't ( :eek: ) then drink caffine free Coke with Vodka (y)

dave said:
get a job as a hod carrier

Or deliver beer barrels for a living, like I do (y)

CAWD6Z45.jpg

yes but they all say to get down the gym!!!

I already learnt the hard way once before, went back, did too much too soon, and injured my back!!! was out of all action for a week. Out of the gym for 4 weeks.

They have new idiots there now who say things like, "i can only offer advice on our machines" :bang:

Cheers jtd, but i got at least a 6 weeks before i get to that stage again!!! I always rest for at least 2 days anyway.

ok fair enough fella, must be me that's lucky 2 have a couple of mates who are gym instructors, n give me a hard time n make me work in the gym wen i go, n i mean proper work outs b4 anyone gets any ideas, althought saying that one of umm is pretty cute, mmmmmm:D

this is the bad point about moving 200 miles away! all the friends i went to the gym with i can't now, and those that i did 2/3 years ago, don't go any more! There are 2 good instructors there who will give the advice, but i haven't seen them as yet....

At least we now know why you go the gym...... ;)

Randomman said:
After a lot of reading, apparently all you need to do is eat healthy and run.

Yeah, you need a relatively low body fat % to get a complete 6 pack :)

chaos said:
Yeah, you need a relatively low body fat % to get a complete 6 pack :)

8% so I'm told, 12-14% for women, and THEY are the ones always moaning about being fat!

It true, men need less fat to look less fat, if that makes sense.

But as I have no idea what 8% is, I'll just run and run and listen to iPod Nano!!

i hear it is around there, but the average man has 20%, and being that low is bordering unhealthy!!!!

Martial arts not an option then because of your back or is it just not your cuppa ?
There's no better way of keeping fit and trim, if your back is a problem then there's always lighter styles you can try usually based around kung fu.

KoArAnG said:
Martial arts not an option then because of your back or is it just not your cuppa ?
There's no better way of keeping fit and trim, if your back is a problem then there's always lighter styles you can try usually based around kung fu.

Yeah I regret giving up Karate :( It was brilliant :) Tried to do some of the katas the other day - I remembered more than I though I did! :D

Back