Gym advice?

Currently reading:
Gym advice?

average man 18-20% fat
average athlete 12- 14%
gym addict for six pack 8-9%
to keep weight below 12% permanent is unhealthy. aim for 12% [footballers].
too much weight loss[fat] will actually decrease muscle tone. so a balanced diet is needed. eat main meal at lunch, and lunch at tea. nuitrician is the key to muscle growth. protein drinks will benefit. i suggest a proper gym with experianced staff to take you through all the steps. and do not do too much too soon.:)

chaos said:
Yeah I regret giving up Karate :( It was brilliant :) Tried to do some of the katas the other day - I remembered more than I though I did! :D
Well as long as you remember the important stuff like your one step sparring it could always come in useful ;)

Carlos, if want to train from home then a book will give you some guidance, but if you go down that route always warm up and stretch for at least half an hour before attempting any kicks for the first few years.

KoArAnG said:
Well as long as you remember the important stuff like your one step sparring it could always come in useful ;)

Yeah :) I wasn't far off from getting my 4th Kyu when I left. I tried Shotokan but I couldn't get on with it :( Didn't feel right.................

chaos said:
Yeah :) I wasn't far off from getting my 4th Kyu when I left. I tried Shotokan but I couldn't get on with it :( Didn't feel right.................
Should try the relaxing atmosphere of a Kung Fu class, extremely hard work but not so strict like the military styles of Taekwondo or Karate. But that depends on the teaching style obviously, I always ran my kung fu classes with a relaxed attitude because I had nobody looking over my shoulder. But the Taekwondo classes had to be extremely strict as it was overlooked by Gran Master Yun and he'd pay a visit every three months :worship:

Sorry for the thread highjack Carlos, but I was ultimately trying to point out good and bad factors in taking up martial arts as a way to get in shape, mentaly as well as bodily.

KoArAnG said:
Should try the relaxing atmosphere of a Kung Fu class, extremely hard work but not so strict like the military styles of Taekwondo or Karate. But that depends on the teaching style obviously, I always ran my kung fu classes with a relaxed attitude because I had nobody looking over my shoulder. But the Taekwondo classes had to be extremely strict as it was overlooked by Gran Master Yun and he'd pay a visit every three months :worship:

Sorry for the thread highjack Carlos, but I was ultimately trying to point out good and bad factors in taking up martial arts as a way to get in shape, mentaly as well as bodily.

Yeah our classes felt fairly relaxed, but they were strict in terms of discipline. There was no messing around allowed :) There was a heavy emphasis on respect too, e.g. bowing before entering and leaving the dojo. When I went along to a Shotokan class for a look and a try, I was miffed at the total lack of respect - I think it was only the Sensei, myself and the brown belts who bowed on entering and leaving..................the teaching style also didn't seem to suit me, so I stayed away, but I would still like to get my Dan belt, someday..............................I bet I'll have to start all over again from scratch :bang:

Sorry for the rambling Carlos :eek:

Right, this is my speciality.

First off, training:

Mon - Legs

Wed - Chest, Back + Abs

Fri - Shoulders, Bi + Triceps

Warm up, then do one set at 50% of your max weight, then 1 working set, 6-10 reps to failure. Move on to the next exercise. 3 sets for big muscle groups (Back, Chest + Legs), 2 sets for small groups (Bi + Triceps, abs). That should take about 45 mins, more than enough unless your a genetic freak, which you won't be. Do heavy compound movements, bench press, deadlifts and squats.

Don't do 5 million sets / reps for abs, that's silly. They're a muscle just like the rest of the body.

Diet:

Forget all this body fat ******** to start off with, you need to build some muscle first, that means you'll end up a little round.

Eat every 2-3 hours, so that will be at least 6 meals a day. Consume 2g of protein per pound of body weight. Get protein from red meat, chicken / turkey or oily fish (not tuna). Get in plenty of complex carbs, ie oats. Take in a good post workout drink immediatley after, with lots of simple sugar and protein. I take in 100g of carbs + 50g of protein after training.

Get lots of rest, don't sup loads of booze or take a load of drugs at weekend. Drink lots of water, not tea / coffee or juice, water.

paulbfd said:
Don't do 5 million sets / reps for abs, that's silly. They're a muscle just like the rest of the body.

Get lots of rest, don't sup loads of booze or take a load of drugs at weekend. Drink lots of water, not tea / coffee or juice, water.

Cheers paul, i already knew the abs one, i now only do variations of sit-ups, mainly flat with a 10kg weight, up and twist for sides, and leg raises.

I'm only in weekends (just to get back into it.. so i rest for the week, but will now rest 2 days, then do light stuff at home for 2 days, then rest till weekend.)
I know water is best for cleaning out, but whats the benefit for working out. (I Have 2 litres per workout!!) Just out of curiosity?

Back