General Gunge under rocker cover - 903 OHV

Currently reading:
General Gunge under rocker cover - 903 OHV

CaptainTuba

West Wilts Panda Reserve
Hi - just taken the rocker cover off Graham.:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I'm sure that this is as a result of a blocked breather tube, short jouneys and poor maintenance.:mad:

I've cleaned the rocker cover - but what is the best way to clean the rest of it?

First of all I'm going to take the rocker shaft off. The book says undo the bolts a bit a time. Porter says they are torqued to 39Nm (Rocker shaft pedestal nuts).

I'm worried that this oily gunge will cause problems - if it comes loose in chunks. I was going to use an oil treatment but now I'm not so sure.

What do you think folks? :confused:
C.T.

Attachments

• gunge.JPG
    gunge.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 59
  • rocker.JPG
    rocker.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 183
  • rocker-cover.JPG
    rocker-cover.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 182
thats pretty usual for an OHV engine. Mine was similar but not as bad. TBH I would leave it well alone unless you remove the head and clean it thoroughly, like you say while you are cleaning it off a chunk could end up in an oilway.

Hi - just taken the rocker cover off Graham.:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I'm sure that this is as a result of a blocked breather tube, short jouneys and poor maintenance.:mad:

I've cleaned the rocker cover - but what is the best way to clean the rest of it?

First of all I'm going to take the rocker shaft off. The book says undo the bolts a bit a time. Porter says they are torqued to 39Nm (Rocker shaft pedestal nuts).

I'm worried that this oily gunge will cause problems - if it comes loose in chunks. I was going to use an oil treatment but now I'm not so sure.

What do you think folks? :confused:
C.T.
to be honest with you mate thats excessive engine wear you need to flush it with engine flush and re-fill it with engine oil and oil treat ment mate it should help to get rid of the gunge use a small wire brush before you flush it to loosen the gunge then flush it and it will clean it the re-fill it with oil and oil trteatment this will prevent further engine damage ok mate

That looks like a combination of poor quality engine oil, poor maintenance and short journeys. If it is that bad be careful of using engine flush as it could cause big chunks to come away and then block up oilways with expensive results.

You could try using some decent quality oil which will come with detergents to clean the engine. Give it a good long run as well and maybe change the oil earlier than usual. Don't forget the Italian tuning method - thrash the arse off it on the motorway for about an hour to get the engine nice and hot - that should clean out the cobwebs! :p

I honestly feel people are ove reacting here... the OHVs do gum up like this, you should see some old A series lumps that are happily running well worse than that. Whats the mileage btw? It could well be short journeys and poor quality oil, maybe its been run on mineal for a long time. Really I wouldnt use an engine flush, if a chunk gets lodged in an oilway youll be in trouble.

Having had Ford OHV engines plenty, this is common with OHV engines, and as the bits where the oil collects really are just ledges for it to settle on I would just leave it as is, clean the inside of the cover just to make sure any splash lubrication isnt affected and make sure rockers etc are clean enough but dont over react and put engine flushes in, they rarely do what they say on the tin.

Separated at birth?

Gunge extracted from rocker cover and Panda Poo

Attachments

• Panda Poo.JPG
    Panda Poo.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 165
  • pandapoo.jpg
    pandapoo.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 12
No more Panda poo.

I finally managed to get rid of the Panda poo :)

Just set the valve clearances today. The exhaust valves need much more adjustment than the inlets.

Neither Haynes nor Porter say if the valve clearances should be set hot or cold. Any ideas folks? :confused:

Also number 8 rocker is a little loose on the shaft - it can slide side to side a little. Will this cause a problem? :confused:

Cheers
C.T.

Attachments

• rocker1.JPG
    rocker1.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 133
  • rocker2.JPG
    rocker2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 23
Back