Technical Gunge in the oil

Currently reading:
Technical Gunge in the oil

I've got an oil leak which hopefully is getting fixed shortly but it means having to regularly top the oil up. I've noticed a lot of brown gunge around the top of the hole where I put the oil in. (technical aren't I?) :D

I'm guessing this is bad news??? :confused:

Get a `sniffer` test done on the coolant header tank. It might be the headgasket.

Regards

Are we talking BIG money here? (n)

It shouldnt cost much to check it out at the header tank. Its just a device that measures the gases for any hydrocarbons. Question is, is that brown stuff a mixture of coolant and oil?

Good luck with it Phil

Normally people complain about the mayonnaise. Could the brown gunk be down to very old (and rusty?) antifreeze?

In the oil filler? not sure Sludgeguts. Its a long time since I have seen brown sludge there, or indeed any sort of deposit.
What oil has been used in it Phil? and the change intervals? Never asked you where the oil leak was coming from, is that the headgasket area?
Regards

NB, The worst sludge I ever saw was the Old Mans Bedford CA van in around 1963. He never did oil changes, just topped it up:shakehead This was my `learner` vehicle for servicing as a kid. First time I looked into the oil filler..........:yuck:

The rocker shafts and tappets were embedded in a shale like substance a couple of inches deep. Got a bit out on a screwdriver, like coal shale. If you had a supply you could have compressed it and made breeze blocks out of it....

Last edited:
What oil has been used in it Phil? and the change intervals? Never asked you where the oil leak was coming from, is that the headgasket area?

Not sure what oil has been used in the past but i must admit i'm using some cheapo stuff in it now. :idea:

I've yet to find the exact location of the oil leak but it's not far back from the nearside front fog light.

Back