Technical guidence with engine swap please

Currently reading:
Technical guidence with engine swap please

hello
well the new engine is in, i need to get a new engine mount but its in for now.
anyway, as a typical noobie I didn't take any pics, make notes etc when removing the old engine and now I'm plugging things back in, I've got a collection of plugs near the gearbox, 4 of which look to be the same. Ahhhh

so can anybody identify the plugs and where they should go, there is still some bits to go on, exhaust, radiator pipes etc, so I will probably find where they go when they go on, I guess 2 will be for the lamdas
CAM00057.jpg

also a quick pic of her heeling sorry for herself (n)
CAM00056.jpg

That'll learn ya!

Most of it should be obvious enough -- if the cable run looks right and the plug firs the socket, it'll be right (wire colours should match, too, where that's appropriate.

Unfortunately Ben's wierd application for showing pictures full size doesn't work on my browser (who codes this rubbish?), so I can't be of any further help.

Wiring diagrams in the Sei Technical Manual, IIRC, Part 4, engine command.pdf. in the downloads library.

Could you say what colour the wires are going to each plug ? this may shed some light with someone.........

in your picture you have a socket showing immediately above the clutch arm, that will be for one of the plugs.

If you look closely at the plugs, I mean really closely, there will be different keyways on each one. You can't put the wrong plug into a socket that it wasn't designed for.

Cheers

D

well I've not had much time to play this weekend, but I've managed to get all but one plug sorted now.
I've got 1 yellow male plug left, its a 3 pin plug with

• black/red
  • orange/white
  • black
wires on it, it reaches to the front panel inbetween the horn and the towing eye but I cant see anything that it could plug into.
I've had a look in the technical date files, great resource, but I can't seem to find a code for the colours.

Also, my new engine is based on an automatic punto engine and it hasn't got anywhere for the knock sensor, so do I need to add it on, or can I leave it off? if I have to add it, can I just use chemical mettle to hold it on? (as it was when it was in the last seicento)

Almost forgot, the lamda sensors, I assume it matters which plug goes to the before and the after cat sensor, but they look to have the same plug (not tried swapping them tho) will it bugger anything up if somehow they are the wrong way round?

Last edited:
Unless it's an early (SPI/Mk1 Punto) block, there should be a lug for the knock sensor in the block. Failing that, try liguid metal (etc.). My guess is that an MPI engine ECU run without will be very upset if it's not there.

There's no colour code there, but:

black = N = nero
red = R = rosso
white = B = bianco
Orange = C = che ne so, io?

No idea, OTTOMH which plug it is, though.........................

For the lambdas, check the colours. It'll either throw an immediate wobbly or won't care.

Last edited:
You should really need wiring diagram, for plugging in a loom!!

As said everything should be obvious,

if is down close to the gearbox, it could be fan, lambda, tdc (mine is ran that way) reverse light plug.

But i think they are all different!

Back