General Guess what i've gone and done now?! :D - stage 2 begins

Currently reading:
General Guess what i've gone and done now?! :D - stage 2 begins

Well, I was only saying yesterday they are like gold dust and have tried for months without success and then ....

50e6_1.JPG cb0d_1.JPG

That's right....I've picked up a 100hp 1368cc 16v engine with less than 10k on it :devil: :slayer:

Its delivered on Thursday and comes complete with some of the ancillaries, but no 6 speed box...I'll keep the 5 speed I have as I quite like the gearing on it.

Got it for £400 delivered and comes with 2 month warranty, which is not as cheap as some have paid, but due to its rarity, I'd thought screw it, and put it on the Visa :eek: You wouldn't get one for much less, and with the low mileage it should be in good nick. I haggled him down at least :slayer:

Plans of what to do are undecided s yet.......it won't be swapped straight in, even though I could, for a bhp gain.

One trail of thought is:

get MS running on 1.2 16v, tune to perfection.
port + polish 1368cc
forged pistons or spacer
fit turbo'd 1368cc into sei

the 1368cc T-Jets put out 150bhp...i think if i go the right route i can easily match it and still retain reliability..hell, 130bhp turbo will still be insane in that car.....need a lot more research though :idea:

Kristian

Nice find, for a decent price too (y) , though the 6 speed box matches it perfect to keep it on the boil, though with less weight 5 speed box should still be OK. It is noticeable that the T-jet equipped cars come with 5 speeds to make more use of the greater torque spread, but they will have much longer ratios so that cruising is comfortable, and not doubt beefed up boxes to cope as well, this is where the Cento box may start to fall over, plus you would at minimum need the 200mm flywheel and clutch from 1368 model.

There are two T-jets at present, the 120bhp model in Punto and 150bhp model in Bravo so there will be some difference between them, probably compression and turbo itself, though on those cars they use the more modern turbo as part of manifold like most modern turbo charged cars are now, not a separate unit. That's not to say you can replicate the power by use of after market fabrication, just not the immediate spool up times this more modern way

The only differance I could find between the Stilo/Punto/Panda 1368 engines is the mapping and induction, otherwise identical, so the 99bhp that the Panda outs out compared to 95bhp in Stilo is accounted for by that, therefore for anybody doing a conversion there is nothing to be gained from any particular engine, all same base.

Thats next to me, which scrapy is it?

Interested in the rest of the car.

£400 is a decent price though,

That's good to know then :)

Nice find, for a decent price too (y) though the 6 speed box matches it perfect to keep it on the boil, though with less weight 5 speed box should still be OK.

I can always get a 6 speed later on i guess....with some spare cash, look for the toughest i can find.

It is noticeable that the T-jet equipped cars come with 5 speeds to make more use of the greater torque spread, but they will have much longer ratios so that cruising is comfortable, and not doubt beefed up boxes to cope as well, this is where the Cento box may start to fall over,

NA I'm sure the box will cope...TB and it may start to suffer, although I think there are a few high power cars out there with the cento 5 speeds. I know the cruising speed RPM is fine for motorways etc, so i can always upgrade in the future :)

plus you would at minimum need the 200mm flywheel and clutch from 1368 model.

It will come with the fw, but my current one is 190mm, not the cento 180mm, and it has a sports clutch with higher rated springs. Also the flywheel is lightened, so I'm inclined to try the 190mm first. If i get loads of slipping etc, then I'll swap it out for the 200mm, but while still NA...again..it'll probably cope. Time will tell :D

The only differance I could find between the Stilo/Punto/Panda 1368 engines is the mapping and induction, otherwise identical, so the 99bhp that the Panda outs out compared to 95bhp in Stilo is accounted for by that, therefore for anybody doing a conversion there is nothing to be gained from any particular engine, all same base.

Yep, I know that, it was a case of ANY 1368 16v will do, I was just having trouble getting any of them....they can also be found in the Idea as well, but even less of those about :D

Thats next to me, which scrapy is it?

Interested in the rest of the car.

M+J something or other, can't remember now....let you know once it and the invoice come though.

I'll post up some piccies once its arrived :slayer:

Kristian

nah, its the 100hp which only comes with the one type engine and 2wd.

I wonder why they have never put a higher power 4x4 panda engine in? YWould make sense. Maybe the rear diff etc are not up to the task

getting the 4x4 undercarriage did cross my mind though at one time, but it may run like crap due to the losses, and i think it may be wider.....maybe i should get the tape measure on the parents panda 100 tomorrow :D

If I had a second car and space to spare, it'd be a monster freak, money permitting, but sadly im restricted to feasiable and short time framed jobs ;)

Kristian

//edit - I also worried the 4x4 was also more of a "gimmick" like th ecarpy abs etc. and do more harm than good

Last edited:
//edit - I also worried the 4x4 was also more of a "gimmick" like th ecarpy abs etc. and do more harm than good[/QUOTE]

You mean like the troublesome vauxhall frontera.
:yuck:

Let me know how different this is to the 1.4? Any chance of a photo of the pulley end of the engine? I want to see if my supercharger brackets will fit:eek:

I'll get some pics on sunday when i pick it up, however it arrived today, just being stored elsewhere for the moment.

I had chance to spend 5 mins looking it over today and that;s it..however I have already noticed a few things.

The worst is the engine mount is totally different, and I'm not sure its a case of unbolting and fitting another one! This could be a major problem lol

The alternator and PAS/Aircon? Pump are driven by the cam belt, so if i want/need to remove the pump it means finding a shorter cam belt with the correct pitch...could be interesting!

Overall it looks tidy though, and witha bit of work should go in.....panicking over the mount issue though lol.

Kristian

Cheers arc, I found that out about 10 mins ago from Aaron in a panda conversion thread I was reading.....good to know as i was bricking it after having a double take of my mums 100hp engine in situ.. big relief :)

I now think the extra pump is an air con pump....still not 100% though. If it doesn't get in the way I may leave it fitted, save messing with the belts, but i think it may cause problems.

Aaron, if you view this, what the arrangement on the red sei, is the stilo like the 1242's and 1108's with two belts, one driving the alternator and no aircon pump?

Cheers,

Kristian

If the pipes are cut then seal the ends up with tape to stop moisture getting to the oil.

Just checked the eper and the pumps are about 400 quid...:D :D :eek:

Last edited:
Back