Tuning GSR vs K&N vs CDA

Currently reading:
Tuning GSR vs K&N vs CDA

ne1l

Established member
BMC or K+N??

My mate is planning to fit either a BMC or K+N to his Stilo (2.4 20v Abarth).

Which is best? Although he's looking for the performance gain firstly he also wants the 'meaty roar/idleing growl'?

I had a K+N on my Punto Mk2 and it sounded great but BMC?? Never had any experience of having one fitted.

I would say BMC coz they are apparently one of the best but he insists it must have the a great growl too lol!!

I may also look to fit one to my Peugeot 407 2.0l too??

Cheers!

Re: BMC or K+N??

There isn't going to be any growl at idle with just an induction kit fitted, need a bigger exhaust for that.

I would say BMC, because there are gains to be had on that 2.4 lump ;) Even more so with a remap.

With the heat the 2.4 lump would put out a K&n would likely sap power away from the car. As cool air wont be getting to it. Hence why the BMC would be a better choice with the covered carbon filter stops heat getting into it.

If you want to get increase in power and a meaty sound then a twincone filter with with proper silicone tubing will give you the best of both worlds.

The BMC twin cone filters flow very well and the silicone tubing does the same but more importantly you can route the filter to a spot where you neither suck up in any water and where is cool air. This way you will get a good setup below the price of a BMC CDA being as good as a CDA.

Oldschool said:
If you want to get increase in power and a meaty sound then a twincone filter with with proper silicone tubing will give you the best of both worlds.

The BMC twin cone filters flow very well and the silicone tubing does the same but more importantly you can route the filter to a spot where you neither suck up in any water and where is cool air. This way you will get a good setup below the price of a BMC CDA being as good as a CDA.

You have told us here on the forum about these twin cone filters but have yet to find one online i know you are developing GSR induction Kits so how do these compare to the BMC filters (y) and is there one for the Stilo.

PNL said:
You have told us here on the forum about these twin cone filters but have yet to find one online i know you are developing GSR induction Kits so how do these compare to the BMC filters (y) and is there one for the Stilo.

There is none yet from GSR for the Stilos as there has nobody approached GSR yet.

BMC does do twincone filters, which I was replying to. As the question was pointed to BMC and K&N, my choice would have been BMC way before K&N.

BMC was the first maunfacturer of twin cone filter elements but have not kept up with development. GSR has used the BMC twin cone filters for many years for the induction kits but today prefer to use other makes because they are currently flowing better than BMC filters.

The BMC CDA is quite a good filter element and used to be the best and is still one of the better ones but need further improvement and is certainly possible. One drawback on the CDA is that BMC does not supply the rest of the kit really. They supply a rippled aluminium hose that destroys some of the potential gains and some bends but this is not really that good.

Guys,

After a little help after recently buying a 2.4 abarth I am after more power, I had been told by someone who I will not name (n) that the BMC CDA kit is the best for this car, however I have now been told by someone in the know that a GSR kit will be better.

Just after some clarification really, has anyone got these fitted? power gains etc?

WHAT ACTUALLY IS THE BEST!!! :confused:

Re: BMC CDA vs GSR Kit

Yup Ive just had the 2.4 Stilo kit fitted to my Bravo at the red dot rolling road day. With just this kit added, it gave me 17bhp more and 6lb-ft of extra torque. The GSR will beat the BMC CDA hands down! Got graphs to prove the gains as well (y)

It's looking like I may have to cancel that order for the CDA...

Does anyone have pics of what the GSR kit is like?

Check my gallery, its in the Bravo hgt 155 file (y)

Cheers for that all I've seen that it involves a red pipe with GSR on it what does the kit include? is it a K&N type filter or some kind of air box?

You get the red silicone hose, bracket which goes to the gear box to steady the kit, an awsome filter cone (not in an air box) and all jubilie clips. Ill try and get a pic of the filter when I get home.

You get the red silicone hose, bracket which goes to the gear box to steady the kit, an awsome filter cone (not in an air box) and all jubilie clips. Ill try and get a pic of the filter when I get home.

Cheers jami that would be awesome

I think I know who recomended the CDA over the GSR kit..and if youve been on that site you do yourself no favours cos they really have lost the plot..anyway if you care to sign up on his site[link below] we can sort you out cos we are still looking for a guinepig due to Red devils car not running corectly on the last r/r day..:)

I think I know who recomended the CDA over the GSR kit..and if youve been on that site you do yourself no favours cos they really have lost the plot..anyway if you care to sign up on his site[link below] we can sort you out cos we are still looking for a guinepig due to Red devils car not running corectly on the last r/r day..:)

Cheers PNL have just joined Performance Stilo and would happily become a guinepig

Right as promised heres a pic of the filter, as my undertray is missing it was getting splashed as you can see, so Ive just moved it to a more protected place so hopefully this will help (y)
DSC03300.JPG

Back