Grrr, me bike broke on me

Currently reading:
Grrr, me bike broke on me

M111CYY

Formerly mickyd6666
went out on me push bike today and i ended up pushing it on the way home.
when i changed gear the thing on the back wheel that moves the chain decided it would have a fit and jammed in the spokes of the wheel.

I only had the bike a week, so im not very impressed.

the derailer limiting screw is incorrectly adjusted (or missing). it is needed to stop the derailer moving so far it hits the spokes.

Jug is right, mine has a system of grub screws that limit the movement at both ends of the gears, it's caled SIS on mine but that may be a trade name. Should have been d0ne before you got the bike but it's so easy to do I would adjust yourself, if they are such monkeys at the shop.

Jug is right, mine has a system of grub screws that limit the movement at both ends of the gears, it's caled SIS on mine but that may be a trade name. Should have been d0ne before you got the bike but it's so easy to do I would adjust yourself, if they are such monkeys at the shop.

i would but its broken as it went far enough in the spokes that it has been bent out of shape etc

second hand ebay bikes are far better value for money. get yourself something worth £300 for £30 and it will be far less trouble.

serves you right buying from JJB they by all accounts are totally clue less... :D

not only does it require a new derailure aka rear mech but the hanger (the bit that the rear mech bolts onto to which in turn bolts onto the frame needs its alignment checking as too does the rear wheel....

this is not a normally a bedding in problem its more like whoever set the bike up didnt set the limit screw marked with an (L) properly or its been dropped on its side... Did they PDI it before you took it (odds on they didnt or it should have been spotted by a Cytec qualified tech

SIS refers to Shimano Indexed Shifting iirc which all bikes have in one form or another shimano works on a 1:2 index ratio where as SRAM works on a 1:1 ratio so if they try to fit an sram rear mech it wont work with a Shimano shifter.. as it pulls the amount of cable differently..

any more help look in on the Bikemagic forum http://www.bikemagic.com

Im well pi$$ed of, i rang jjb to see wot they going to do about it and they say they not doing anything as the bike frame is bent which means its my fault and ive banged the bike cos getting the thingy stuck in he wheel while i was moving wouldnt cause that much damage!!!!!!!!!

nd the manger isnt in till saturday - convenient, so im ringing customer services tomorrow.

the options the bike manager gave me where
1. buy a new bike or
2. pay for a new back end of the bike

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :bang: :bang:

It's surprisingly easy to bend a bike frame, I did it once on a bike track in a pursuit race on a Claud Butler with a fixed wheel just by back pedalling to help the brakes. I'm sure the arm getting in among the spokes could do it, as ever my advice is if they do not come across sue the B* in the small claims court, forms are on the web.

How do they know if the frame is bent over the phone?

i tok the bike in for them to fix, and i was told to ring up and find out how long they would have it.

customer services is getting a phonecall from me tomorrow.

the bloke from the bike section of jjb reckons the manufacturer told him that the part jamming in the wheel couldnt bend the frame

well thats tosh.

whats happened is the rear deralier (I call it a mech for short) has been incorrectly adjusted or been hit with something (maybe bike fell on that side would probably do it with a cheap bike).

whats mean't to happen is the metal tab between the frame and the mech is mean't to break FIRST.
but on cheap bikes they often don't have this part. its called a 'mech hanger' thats what th manufacturer has stated, that it was mean't to break first, but sometimes they don't.

if going anymore than about 8mph, and you weigh more than 8stone, you will cause some mega damage when it goes in the wheel, it will either explode the wheel, damage the wheel beyond resonable repair, or damage the frame.

in this case, the frame has taken the brunt (it'll be them cheap, heavy, but tough steel plain gauge spokes it was fitted with in taiwan).

the only influence youcould have put on it to cause damage would be hitting the mech with a large stone/boulder/tree stump whilst out riding on it.
leaning it on its side with the mech on the ground
transporting it back home damaging it some other way.

JJB should go to hell if they won't even look at it properly

Back