Grrr, me bike broke on me

Currently reading:
Grrr, me bike broke on me

well thats tosh.

whats happened is the rear deralier (I call it a mech for short) has been incorrectly adjusted or been hit with something (maybe bike fell on that side would probably do it with a cheap bike).

whats mean't to happen is the metal tab between the frame and the mech is mean't to break FIRST.
but on cheap bikes they often don't have this part. its called a 'mech hanger' thats what th manufacturer has stated, that it was mean't to break first, but sometimes they don't.

if going anymore than about 8mph, and you weigh more than 8stone, you will cause some mega damage when it goes in the wheel, it will either explode the wheel, damage the wheel beyond resonable repair, or damage the frame.

in this case, the frame has taken the brunt (it'll be them cheap, heavy, but tough steel plain gauge spokes it was fitted with in taiwan).

the only influence youcould have put on it to cause damage would be hitting the mech with a large stone/boulder/tree stump whilst out riding on it.
leaning it on its side with the mech on the ground
transporting it back home damaging it some other way.

JJB should go to hell if they won't even look at it properly

Well the bloke does seem a bit dim lol. and seen as i was going down a bit of a hill and pedaling at the time i was going fast-ish, and i weigh a lot more than 8st.

maybe you're too nice, nice people never get what they want. get angry and loud and they'll do whatever it takes to get rid if you. dont be too proud to kick off, pride is a wimp's game.

maybe you're too nice, nice people never get what they want. get angry and loud and they'll do whatever it takes to get rid if you. dont be too proud to kick off, pride is a wimp's game.

well i am too nice for my own good yes, and if my phonecall doesnt work, me dad is going into the shop to see them

Thought i'd steal this thread for a minute...

I've just found myself looking at bike on the Bay of E...

After something I can ride 15miles to work but also down dirt tracks etc at the weekend... or is it better getting two cheaper bikes...

Obviously looking at something second hand...

Used to be quite into bikes when I was younger and just rem Specialized, Kona, etc being the bikes everyone had :eek:

better to spend your cash on one decent bike, 2 crap ones will brake a lot more than one decent bike. once upon a time you only had to worry about bikes that were the same quality as apollo, these days there are even worse bikes for sale. they're a false economy unless you want a bike purely for ornamental use.

Last edited:
Just make sure you keep your good 2nd hand bike licked down to something solid.. Like your house.

If you want I'll pop into JJB pretending to look at their most expencive bike... (haha) then I overhear you getting bad customer service and I walk out the shop :D

Can they prove the rear mech was setup correctly? If not then just tell them you'll see them in court.

id love to, and no they cant, the ticky box form for the bike the bloke just ticked them when i got it didnt check anything, all he did was straighten handlebars. im thinkin of just going in, getting the bike and taking it to halfords to be fixed

Well i wrote them a strongly worded letter etc and got a reply from them.

saying they will not do anything to the bike, if i want it fixed i have to pay before hand or i can pick it up.

So i went to pick the bike up today and i asked the bloke how much it would be to fix and he said he didnt know, and he again kept saying that there is no way that the bike frame would bend with the derailer.

Me dads mate is good with bikes so ive took it to his house and he had a look at it and said its easy to fix, and simply bent the frame back into place, so now ill be off for a new derailer tomorrow

Halfords always gets so much stick for this sort of stuff, infact i believe it did earlier in the thread, but when I broke my derailer off, i went into the shop and said i had done it it came out with a new hanger and derailer for free...

Halfords always gets so much stick for this sort of stuff, infact i believe it did earlier in the thread, but when I broke my derailer off, i went into the shop and said i had done it it came out with a new hanger and derailer for free...

Yer but was jjb i was dealing with, wont be going there again. need to go to halfords for the part i need though

Back