Technical Grinding noise from engine on starting

Currently reading:
Technical Grinding noise from engine on starting

Hi, I just brought my new barchetta home, bought on ebay, and I'm worried about a loud grinding noise I can hear when starting the engine. It only lasts for a couple of seconds, but it sounds like screws in a blender. Is that the variator? It doesn't sound like a diesel at all (my Alfa 156 does though!). Any help appreciated.
Also, is there a site someone can direct me to, to help with servicing, ie which plugs/oil/oil filter etc to use?

Many thanks, Jeremy

Not the starter over running is it? Had the same problem on my lorry and turned out to be the starters relay sticking. Maybe worth a look.

is anything like this?

first 3 second is dead variator,
middle 3 seconds how should sound
last 3 second sound of dead hydro lifters,
i don't have sound of dead crankshaft but it sounds like rock grinding machine.

... only lasts for a couple of seconds, but it sounds like screws in a blender...

I think this is a perfect description of a sticking bendix gear in the starter motor. The solution should be simple - remove starter, grease the gear & replace - my local garage charged just half-hr labour for this. Worst case may be needing a replacement starter (still less than £100) - good luck!

Seems the consensus so far is for the starter motor.
I have uploaded a video with the sound :

youtu.be/

Z04DU4PfFm4

You need to remove the spaces above, as the site won't allow me to post URLs yet.

Sounds like a steam engine! Poor thing. As above try a hill start without the starter motor. If no noise you know its that.

You can bet on it it's the starter.
like said before you can grease it, or let it be.

Mine has done just the same for allmost 2 years.
It does no harm, but it's not a pretty sound

Hey thanks for the confirmation. Just spoke to the previous owner who said the car has been making that sound for 4 years!
Thanks again for all your help. Great forum!

Jeremy

Back