Technical Grinding brakes & Tapping sound

Currently reading:
Technical Grinding brakes & Tapping sound

cagerrey

cagerrey
Hi Everyone,

have changed jobs recently, so my poor Sei only gets driven on weekends:( .

Have notices for the past two weekends that when i start off and brake, there is a grinding sound when I brake. It goes off after a while, but it dose sound a little funny. Is this normal???:confused: I was driving it 5-6 days a week in my old job.

Last weekend, for a treat for the car, I gave it a nice wash & Wax and decided that I would clean its filter. Everything went well. (y) Except sound there seem to be a sort of tapping sound coming from the left hand side of the engine, think maybe coming from fan belt, was also thinking it maybe also that it could be coming from the Cam belt at it has gone over the 40K mark and was going to put it in for a service and Cambet Change in March. Anyone got any ideas.:confused:

Any comment would be appricated!!

Regards

Tony:cool:

HI Mase

Brakes were changes last MOT in March last year, How would I check they are wearing too low, could I just look under, or take the front wheels off??:confused:

the brake noise will just be the layer of crap being taken off, it'll happen if you leave the car to sit and only drive it at weekends.

Not sure on tapping noise, is it there all the time?

arc said:
the brake noise will just be the layer of crap being taken off, it'll happen if you leave the car to sit and only drive it at weekends.

Not sure on tapping noise, is it there all the time?

Can't hear it when in the car and driving, can hear it when you open the bonnet are listern. So I guess contant:confused:

belts tend to make squeely or whiring noises rather than tapping.

It's not a loose cambelt cover or something is it?

Easy way to pinpoint a noise, get a long bit of tube and put your ear to it. Then point the tube at bits of the engine, till you locate where the noise is coming from. tbh though it doesnt sound like anything to worry about

I don't know if these cars have it for emission control, but on the mercs i work on, there is a valve in the engine compartement, called a mot valve, that has a pulsing action to let the fuel vapours from the charcoal canister to the intake manifold. normally they tend to touch on the body, which amplifies the clicking noise, sounds like a relay being switched on and off all the time.
dunno if these cars have this,but if it has check it out.

Brake noise is rust on the discs and drums. Yes it will stop after a while, the pads and shoes have removed the thin rusty layer and you are back to good metal again.

Engine noise, does it change with engine speed? The injectors can get a bit noisy, so if yours is MPi the one at that end of the engine could be the culprit.

Cheers

D

Back