Technical Grey hair coming out of silencer

Currently reading:
Technical Grey hair coming out of silencer

mackeralman

I have a 20 metre length of grey hair trailing my exhaust. I'm told it's the muffling. What do I do with this stuff ? Do I pull it all out ? How will it affect the MOT tomorrow ?

rip it out as it can make the engine die while driving not good in traffic......put it in for mot see what happens sometimes they will pass sometimes not so be prepared to change back box....

its just the silencing in the back box, nothing too serious id say push id in and make sure it stays there for the mot

so you could delay getting a new backbox for a while :p

Ash

dont push it back in as it will only come out again or block the exhaust more likely the later.... fitting exhausts is my job and has been for nearly 27 years

I don't get the having stuff inside the exhaust ? my janspeed never came with any ?

ming

It should have something in there! Most (all?) silencers are packed with something -- E glass, basalt or stainless steel wool. Somewhere on FF there's a story by Fluffy about his son "Dad! Dad! The hair's all come out of the exhaust!"

I had this with my Sei, pulled out about 15metres of the stuff but then the remaining blocked the exhaust blowing a hole in the side of the rear box......sounded good though.

Get rid of as much as you can, it's probably a sign that the inside of the rear box is rusting anyway.

you must have done something very bad in your last life then :eek:

dont just do exhausts i do everything from tyres to engine swaps and its not just my job but hobby as well so maybe was bad in past life but i just love cars and working on them and ur never too old to learn new stuff with them....:)

Back