..... And this is Green!::D
Green.jpg

Green's problems;

Pale blue smoke from exhaust -
I think head gasket is going . . . . .
Rad water rusty brown in colour...
But that's all really!

Ok!
Took Green for a run this morning to re-check head gasket status.
Found an interesting problem on return from 7 mile run . . . .
A tick tick tick sound came intermittently from the engine - I tracked it down to Number 2 (from cambelt) sparkplug/ht lead - it was Arcing across to the cylinder head.
Would this cause similar symptons to a head gasket failure?
i.e. misfire, overheating.
I also found more mud under the car:(

Also, what is the small bottle and hose behind the front bumper on the passenger side (you have to look underneath.) ?:confused:

Spark jumping from lead to cylinder head will have nothing to do with the head gasket, just faulty lead. I would be inclined to replace all of the leads as a set. Black plastic bottle fwd of L/H/F wheel is charcol canister, part of anti polution system, would not normally need to be disturbed in any way.
Looks a real tidy example, look after it.
Rgds.

THANKS PETE!
I've got a spare set of HT leads in the garage!!!!!
I'll let you know if it works(y) Ginas 126 has a charcoal filter too!:yum:

Sprox said:
Would this cause similar symptons to a head gasket failure?
i.e. misfire, overheating.

it causes the engine to run irregularly... and that's about it. it'll ceertainly impact on the tickover.

Right! Have replaced the HT leads - we are back up to Panda power levels now!(y)

The dizzy cap and rotor arm is a mess. Will get new ones!
They're the same as on Flash - I've got a spare brand new Coil - not sure if that will make difference?
WIll also change the spark plugs tomorrow - pain to get to with the Injection Carb electronics in the way - i think I'll have to take off the carb! Prefer a 1000s over this!

Engine temp was down to slightlyabove normal levels but 80 was squueeeezed out over the flat (disused Runway) instead of a previous 58.

just a good service needed now including changing the coolant - hopefully the blue smoke was unburnt fuel blasting throught the CAT type thingy :confused: if that's what it is!!!!! WIERD.

I think that whispy smoke stuff is a sign of being unused for some time... or being used for short runs only i think... also the panda's aren't exactly high precision engines and so balancing the fuel air mix is a little random sometimes.

on the other hand it may be the water in the cooling system being pumped into the cylinder :)... it's worth having it checked out for peace of mind.

The coolant level hasn't dropped at all - will flush it though.
This panda is on 100,800 miles - it did 3000 last year and 8000 the year before that but it's obviously been recently neglected. The oil doesn't look too bad

The burning smell from engine was probably ht lead and oil, grease, dirt and mud off the arcing
The carb needs a gooooooood clean and I put a new air filter on.
The only receipts with the car are for new wiper blades and tyres plus a new rad cap in 2002!(y)
A new clutch at 57k
Here's a pic of the unusual sump guard:
Wii_5_.jpg

Whisps from the exhaust will most likely ( in this case ) be build up of unburnt fuel passing through the system, caused by the incomplete ingnition created by the faulty lead/leads. If you are lucky, this should clear up after a few miles ( Italian tune-up ? ) If you are unlucky, the unburned fuel will have damaged the inside of the CAT. You will not know for sure until the next emissions test is done.
Rgds.

The sisleys green is tropico verde.
I've seen those sump guards on all 1000 fire pandas that have the catalytic converter in front of the engine, (in Holland.)

Back