gravel sound when accelerating

Currently reading:
gravel sound when accelerating

A

alan

howdy do folks,

anyone come across a gravely sort of sound when acceleratin, like a flushing sound comming from the engine?

like a liquid stoney sound, is the only way to discribe it. bit worried bout it to tell ya the truth.

thanks
alan

nothing like a bearing sound coming from the left hand side of the bulkhead???

Re: Re: gravel sound when accelerating

not like a growly noise? goes faster the faster you drive?

i have summit like that, thought it was gearbox, but apparently not...

bloody annoying, but only happens when clutch engaged....

ben

CV JOINT

It might be a dodgy CV joint, to check put on full lock and drive round in a circle, if it clicks its knackered, do it both ways!!

cheers

I think I know what sound your talking about because my 1.6 SX makes the same noise. When accelerating from low revs (about 2000) and when I lift off and use the gearbox to slow down. Its like a grinding noise (maybe grinding a bit harsh) and been pissing me off since I bought it. Just had it's first service (12000) and I couldn't be bothered to ask my local Fiat monkeys about it for obvious reasons. I wouldn't worry about too much about it Allan, worst case scenario is the gearbox blowing.

think i know the sound you mean

Alan,
I've experience a sound that you've described as well. I only get it when I leave my hand on the gear knob though. It seems that any unnecessary pressure on the gear stick(whilst in gear) in a backwards direction causes this sound - usually in second gear only though.
With a bit of luck your problem is something and nothing, good luck.
Regards

Could be ?

It may well be the release bearing in the clutch.

yep

Man, I know the exact sound, its like liquid being forced through something.

It just started to occur on my 1.4 SX in the last couple of weeks and only happens when accelerating and the car has been started from cold!

quite annoying since the weather is getting colder and Im thinkin of sellin her.

I really want to know what it is.

G