Technical Grande Punto Tjet - Loose Battery Terminal

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto Tjet - Loose Battery Terminal

Hey guys,
Hope everyone keeping well & safe.

I was carrying out some winter prep maintenance on my 2009 GP TJET. So I had the battery on charge and upon refitting, just for the sake of it really I was turning the terminal left and right and noticed it could move even with it tightened down quite sufficiently, it also can be pulled of with a firm yank up.

Never noticed this before but I am 99% battery is correct size as the negative terminal is solid. Is it a common thing for a terminal to wear or am I missing something?

As a remedy I've recently found out about battery terminal shims and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with etc?

Thanks in advance. Screenshot_20211015-121114.jpeg

It's very common practice to replace the old plastic terminals when they start to show signs of wear.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue a while back, and it was just a matter of making sure the clamp was pushed down on the terminal as far as possible. A wise forum member (I forget who) pointed out to me the terminals are tapered (wider at the bottom) so if your clamp is only attached at the top (narrower), this may explain why it's not firmly attached.

The shims are likely going to be too wide as they look quite thick so are probably for converting smaller terminals to the standard EU size - https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/blog/difference-between-t1-and-t3-car-battery-terminals.html.

One final point - the positive terminal is wider in diameter so may explain why the negative is OK.

It's very common practice to replace the old plastic terminals when they start to show signs of wear.
Thanks for this, the annoying issue that, I have looked round on eBay etc for a replacement terminal to match and they don't seem to be around, so alittle stiffed that way and surely even a second hand one (if I manage to find a tjet) will be as old in age as my one now so probably same issue.

I had a similar issue a while back, and it was just a matter of making sure the clamp was pushed down on the terminal as far as possible. A wise forum member (I forget who) pointed out to me the terminals are tapered (wider at the bottom) so if your clamp is only attached at the top (narrower), this may explain why it's not firmly attached.

The shims are likely going to be too wide as they look quite thick so are probably for converting smaller terminals to the standard EU size - https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/blog/difference-between-t1-and-t3-car-battery-terminals.html.

One final point - the positive terminal is wider in diameter so may explain why the negative is OK.
I'll give this a look at as you never know, but you know when you believe you went pretty hard in the first place lol, so hopefully, cz if not not too sure where to go from here.

It does not need to be the original part. Any autoparts section have those in stock. Just select the ones that fit the connectors on the cables. Metal ones are better than plastic.

Back