General Grande Punto Sporting T-Jet?

Currently reading:
General Grande Punto Sporting T-Jet?

Scott3788

Hi guys,

As you can tell me knew here and i have been looking at this great forum for quite some time now and it is really good.

Anyways i will get to the point..

I am very interested in getting a Grande Punto Sporting 1.4 T-Jet (In white :yum: ) And i just wanted to know a couple of things first..

How reliable are they? as i know Fiat never used to have the best reputation for reliability..
What are they like on petrol? Been looking on some sites and they seem to be okay but i would like some first hand experience from people who actualy own one..
Whats it like as a day to day car as i would be using it everyday...
Would you honestly hand on heart recomend one?
Any major things i should be looking for when buying one?

I think thats about it :p
Thanks for reading and i await your reply :)

Hi ya
My GP has been reliable and easy to
Maintain, I would defo recommend one and I am sure you will be happy with the build quality as it is much improved even from the mk2 that I had.
I hope this helps.
Stz

That is helpful thank you :)
I like your orange aswel.. that would be my next choice of colour.. I just got a thing for white cars! haha :p
What sort of mpg you doing?

Aww thats good to hear.. 50 mpg wow thats cool :)

I really liked them for some times now just wanted to make sure that they are good cars and they seem good to me so :D

50mpg!!!!!!! Wow, I can get 37 at best on a motorway run and only 28 around town: and I certainly don't drive it like I stole it.

Good points: cheap insurance, peppy performance, 5 speed gearbox seems more reliable than 6 speed used on other sporting Puntos, tasteful styling, spacious.

Bad points: not the sharpest drive, lots of understeer when pushed, some cheap interior plastics, desperately needs a 6th gear, fuel economy poor.

I know there are quite a few negative points there but don't get me wrong, I am happy with mine.

Yea thanks guys this really helps :)

I really want a corsa/Astra VXR but seeing as im 19 insurance is mega bucks...
But someone living by me has a white one and when i seen it i just thought wow that looks awsome... All he has done is lowered it and tbh looks wise i thinks thats really all you need to do to a already fantastic looking little car...
I want something a bit nippier than my 1.5 DCi Megane even thought its quite nippy for 106 bhp i just want a nice sounding little turbo car! Haha :p

Hi mate, I have a White t-jet and I love mine, not one problem has ever happened to mine, only things have broke due to me messing with itnso much, like going to low and the driveshaft popping out twice :(. Other than that amazing and really quick for a 1.4turbo..can overtake my mate lupo gti!. Hehe.. No tiny thing I don't like is the paint. White is notoriously bad, I have a lot of orange dots on my paint which is common and it looks almost a matt finish it's so dull, if you get one, you need to be ready to polish it now and then, that's all! Apart from that amazing! Seriously, even my vw mates are secretly jealous lol

Aww thats really good to hear mate! :)
Makes me want one even more now :/ haha..
Think i will get one.. Why not! :D

I've had mine from brand new in June 09,

Overall they are an excellent car for the money,

Performance is more than enough for most in real world driving, handling is better than most say, it will not understeer if balanced properly.

Economy wise, I get 37.5 mpg on average and I have a fairly heavy right foot. As previously stated it suffers from a lack of a 6th gear on the motorway but I've still had mpg figures in the high 40's on motorways.

Only reliability issues I've had have been minor interior trim parts, all fixed under warranty or cheap enough to fix yourself.

The seats can become a bit uncomfortable after a long drive due to limited lumbar support but I've only noticed this after drives of 5hrs plus.

The paint is prone to stonechips however this is the same for most cars thesedays.

I would recommend one anyday

50 mpg lol.

As people have said realistically 33-37 is what you will see unless you drive with your foot on the floor all the time.

And lol at comparing it to a 1.6 n./a 125bhp car.

50 mpg lol.

As people have said realistically 33-37 is what you will see unless you drive with your foot on the floor all the time.

And lol at comparing it to a 1.6 n./a 125bhp car.

33-37 about right with mixed driving, end of the month when I am out of cash can go higher, right now its at 28 :devil:

Completely depends on what conditions, been driving into wood green a lot recently, traffic light grand prix a lot, and always get caught by them! that kills my mpg (n)

Whats wrong with comparing it with a 1.6 n/a car? For one I would assume its a fair bit lighter than the grande and will be quick enough of the line. Tubro torque kills all tho!

Last edited:
Whats wrong with comparing it with a 1.6 n/a car? For one I would assume its a fair bit lighter than the grande and will be quick enough of the line. Tubro torque kills all tho!

Just think its daft. I would be pretty shocked if a tjet couldn't get past a Lupo Gti.

Having owned a sport version that was as quick if not quicker than a gti and couldn't get near my friends tjet. Off the line was my only advantage, and corners.

Just think its daft. I would be pretty shocked if a tjet couldn't get past a Lupo Gti.

Having owned a sport version that was as quick if not quicker than a gti and couldn't get near my friends tjet. Off the line was my only advantage, and corners.
Its a reasonably comparison, both have different strengths and weaknesses. Corners because of the lighter weight and I am assuming better weight distribution as well

50mpg is the most ive had out of it I mean, obviously this involves driving like a blind man but sometimes you need to squeeze as much as you can, realistically driving about daily overtaking people and having a little fun I get between 30-35 its all up to how you drive it.

Expect bits of trim to badly fit but some are fixable as said, im having my gearbox rebuilt under warranty because of a leaking oil seal and I know others have had problems with the gearbox, but its still a great fun car!

Wtf you 'lolling' at me for?.. Have you raced one?.. Tjets 120hp, gti is 125hp. Tjets 0-60 is 8.9 and gti is 8.3 ..torque is the only big difference and so is the weight!.. So actually pretty fair.. Other than tjet insurance group is 6 and lupo gti is 11! ..winwinwin

Wtf you 'lolling' at me for?.. Have you raced one?.. Tjets 120hp, gti is 125hp. Tjets 0-60 is 8.9 and gti is 8.3 ..torque is the only big difference and so is the weight!.. So actually pretty fair.. Other than tjet insurance group is 6 and lupo gti is 11! ..winwinwin

yeah i raced one, when my car was standard i struggled to keep up but i did just about. Now though that would be a different case :devil:

Well i owned a 1.4 sport that was tuned and quicker than gti's so i know pretty well how it does against tjets.

It might be a fair comparison on paper but imo its not. They are a 10 yr old n/a engine at end of the day. Nothing special to boast about beating really.

I pretty sure standard 0-60mph is less than 8.9 secs.

Anyway my mapped T-jet is very quick off the line, had fiesta st's, 318 and 320 beemers in it even a 164bhp 3 series Turbo diesel tried to get in the next lane to cut in front of me, and he had no chance in hell lol

Some turnip in a 1.4 corsa thought he was cool the other day getting in the next to me then reversed back because he seriously thought he could have me haha

Back