Technical Grande Punto sporting multijet stiff gear change

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto sporting multijet stiff gear change

Gilts23900

Hi I've recently bought a Grande Punto multijet but after leaving it parked up for a couple of weeks the gear change is stiff side to side and doesn't recenter it's self. What is the best place to start trying to fix this

1) Linkages/cables. You can pop the cables at the gearbox selector and check if they move freely (and if lever inside the car moves too as you push/pull links).
2a) Gear selector on the gearbox.
2b) Oil.
3) Selector mechanism, lever, inside the cabin.

Last edited:
Mine does this! If it’s not your gear cables then it’s definitely the gear selector like it is on mine. It’s so stiff and hard to get first and second then third and forth it was like hitting a brick wall trying to get it into those gears and really crunches into reverse.

I found that taking the selector off the gearbox and taking it apart (one long bolt) then using wet and dry to clean up the shaft then greasing it up did make it somewhat better but it’s still not perfect and it gets worse when it’s hot. Which is probably down to the metal expanding slightly or the grease losing its greasiness lol.
I’ll try to find a rebuilt kit or a new selector but I did have a little search and couldn’t find anything.

Let me know how you get on buddy.

Just bought a Grande Punto and my shifter is doing the exact same thing.

Did you ever get it fixed? If so then what was the problem?

Back