Technical Grande Punto Noise when decelerating ( Video )

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto Noise when decelerating ( Video )

RealFiatLover

Hello Everyone

I hope you have a nice day

I got a Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.4 16v 95HP 2007

Does anyone know how to fix this noise ? ( I got a video : )

The car is lazy in 1st and 2nd gear. Sometimes is working good but most of the time is lazy.

Thanks a lot for your help!

There's two different noises there, first there's a belt noise (whine) which is either coming from the cambelt or accessory belt.

How many miles and years since cambelt was changed? How about water pump and tensioner? The cambelt cover comes off easily to check the belt and tension.

Accessory belt can be removed and engine run with battery for a short time - if no noise, then it's accessory belt or some of its pulleys like the freewheel clutch on the alternator. However if noise persists, it probably needs a new timing belt with water pump and tensioner. 💡

Was the car serviced properly, has it ever had new spark plugs and ht leads? :unsure: Also a partially clogged vvt solenoid can cause the engine to lose power. It can be cleaned.

It looks like on the sticker that the cambelt was changed on 2019? Then it's due next year but i wouldn't wait any longer with that noise. It's going to fail pretty soon if the noise is coming from the cambelt area. :eek:

Thanks for the reply @eeeno

Unfortunately i have no service history. I recently purchase this car.

The accessory belt was replaced few weeks ago, the noise still persist.

I took it to the service garage they said maybe its crankshaft / engine pulley.

Based on your recommendation I think i'm gonna start step by step:

1. I will install new spark plugs and ht leads and see if the problem can be fixed

2. I am gonna change the cambelt ( Should i purchase a waterpump also ? )

3. Clean clogged vvt solenoid

What's your opinion on taking these steps?

Thanks in advance!

1.4 Fire 16 Valve is more complicated than 8 valve (which i did once), because I believe it has two camshaft pulleys (correct me if im wrong) and they both need to be locked at their position perfectly. You need special timing tools for this job. Search guides, and Google and get the official elearn manual (under procedures- timing.. etc). Google it. It's not a bad idea just give up if you've not done these before, and take it to the garage.

Maybe timing is off and causes loss of power, also clean the VVT solenoids, this one may have two infact I'm not sure. Worn cambelt pulley surface or wrong tension on the belt may cause whine, but infact you don't need change the pulleys because they're quite expensive. Tensioner and water pump should be changed *always*. I don't trust the quality of the aftermarket spare parts. Only original ones may last longer.

Good luck, hopefully it's just a worn cambelt and tensioner that needed changing. (y)

Back