Grande Punto Grundig HU aux in hack

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Grundig HU aux in hack

Banfi T.

Hi everyone,

I bought a month ago a Grande with the standard I.C.E package (CD HU, no mp3), and I tried to find a solution to connect my iPod to the HU since then. Several options are available, but all of them are pricey (for me at least.) The other problem was, that not even the iPod dedicated Alpine HU has the interface to match the iPod's. So, I started to wonder what does exactly "AUX" do in my HU. With a little playing around I found, that it is a fully functional aux in connection. You have to connect three pins and thats all.

A little help:
Grundig_HU.jpg

Now I can connect my iPod to my humble HU in perfect quality. The steering wheel is still functional, but no control over the iPod, just simple aux in functionality. For almost zero money and 10 minutes of work.

I have the exact same radio and could not get the aux in working with the given instruction. Have you connected only three pins? What is the marking that appears to be GUD in the center?

:confused:

I have the exact same radio and could not get the aux in working with the given instruction. Have you connected only three pins? What is the marking that appears to be GUD in the center?

:confused:

I also have the Grundig HU and I simply bought a mini-iso -> cinch line-out cable, like this: www.geizhals.eu/a248518.html
I have no idea why the iso standard line-out pins, work as the AUX input pins, but it works, I guess Grundig have not followed the mini-iso standard.

With this radio, pin 1/2/3 in C1 (= the yellow mini-iso connector - look at this diagram: www.nexxia.co.uk/More_Information/ISO_wiring.htm) is left/gnd/right.
Also see this guide for pictures - notice this is a Blaupunkt radio, but... it also works for the Grundig. I don't understand a word of that homepage btw, so don't ask for me to translate :)
www.fiat-klub.si/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104898&sid=86e0266acbd41e95426e6ba0863806c7

If Banfi T. made it work with his diagram, maybe there are two solutions.
In Banfi T.'s diagram btw, GUD = GND (ground) :)
I on the other hand can't read the text between "left" and "right"......:confused:
(+ I am not sure which three pins he connected out of the four marked)

- John

HI John and thanks for the reply. So you bought this cable www.geizhals.eu/a248518.html

and installed it basically indicated in the picture? Have you had any sound problems; volume too low/high?

191_3.jpg

Last edited:
though in this picture from the provided website is says that GND (massa) is in the middle...

shemakon.jpg

Last edited:
additionally did you have to make any changes to the cable?

No changes made to the cable per se, however as you can see the cable has 4 RCA plugs (+ a long and thin yellow cable). Two of the RCA plugs (one red and one white) + the thin yellow cable will not be used, only the RCA plugs connected to pin 1,2,3 will be used. Second of all, you need an additional cable that converts 2xRCA to 3.5mm jack which is used by most mp3 players.
Like this: www.amazon.co.uk/stereo-jack-Phono-Connectors-metre/dp/B000NHDIEU

The 'perfect' cable can be seen in the following link, but I have not been able to find this elsewhere (and I don't live in Italy...)
www.tecnosoundsanremo.it/product_info.php?products_id=2231o

Also see this guide for directions on how to make the cable yourself:
www.grandepuntoclub.com/sniptz/viewtopic.php?t=7770

The sound is perfect (loud and clear - no distortion or noise).
If needed, you can adjust the 'external volume' in the radios menu so that it correlates better with the output volume of your mp3 player. Then when you change source from radio to AUX, the default volume will be what you choose in the 'external volume" menu.
- John

For those who will read this thread I bought this kind of cable that is "perfect" to do the job from Italian ebay. There are sellers who can send this worldwide. It costs around 20 euros including shipping and handling, expensive but should also have the best audio quality.

191_4.jpg

I will post my experiences once installed.

Last edited:
Ok... so I received the cable in 8 days and installed it right away. Basically what you need is to get the cable and the stuff in the picture.

191_3.jpg

I recommend this cable because of the better sound quality. There is the one that has the blue connector but the sound quality with this one is much better - tested both of the cables.

So just remove the HU using the keys, pull it out and connect the cable on the backside of the HU as described previously. That is it. Push it back and remove the keys by quickly pulling them. Remember to protect the surroundings with paper or something soft so that you don't sracth the interior.

191_5.jpg

I made a small adapter out of a plastic part from my bicycle that I painted black. It grabs the cord as indicated in the picture and glued the whole thing next to the mug holders. I have to repaint it later since the paint started chipping :(

191_7.jpg

Start the motor and select AUX by pushing the SRC button on the HU or on your steering wheel. Press Play ;)

191_6.jpg

hi,
do you have a link to the seller of the cable.
i have a panda 100hp, the cable should work on my HU.
i cant believe Fiat did not fit aux in as standard!!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Have just ordered a lead, will let you know if it works on Blaupunkt HU....

I'm a fiat newbie after a disasterous year with a suposedly reliable skoda octavia vrs ....

I'm a fiat newbie after a disasterous year with a suposedly reliable skoda octavia vrs ....

There are no reliable cars. That is why we have warranties (y) Please let us know whether or not the lead works.

There are no reliable cars. That is why we have warranties (y) Please let us know whether or not the lead works.

check out the GP guides section i made one for under a £5 (y)

I picked up my blue 100HP yesterday, what a great car. all i can say is, well, its bloody good fun!!

the lead came from italy this morning, very quick. i went to fit it but the radio keys i have don't fit. looks like its back to ebay.

Just removed radio from my 100hp using coat hangers and fitted the lead from ebay italy.It works a treat. there seems to be a little electrical interferance but if you turn up the MP3 player and keep the HU down it sounds great. The only thing is the yellow ISO i removed had a green wire into the centre hole which i think is the earth/ground. is this going to affect the car at all? I'll take the lead out come service/warranty visits to dealer?

I read this thread and decided to give the aux-in method a try. I found an eBay seller who stocked the required yellow aux-in connection:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hi-Fi-Links

It arrived the next day, plugged it in and it worked :- )

I also tried the 9-pin blue connector that plugs into the CD changed socket and that didn't work with my Grundig unit so make sure you order the 6-pin yellow one.

Hope this helps someone as it took me ages to find somewhere in the UK that stocked the yellow socket.

BBB

Last edited:
Hi all,

Many thanx for the tip on the aux in hack. I ordered the cable in Italy (from GM Productions on eBay), received it in about a week and installed it. Works a treat! Beats the more expensive options from the Fiat dealer imo. For just about €20 you're set.

Be advised, only the cable with the yellow connector works. The cable with the blue connector is of no use with the F199CD SB05 radio that's currently built into the Grande Punto's.

Regards,
Rudy

Back