General Grande Punto Aerial Thread

Currently reading:
General Grande Punto Aerial Thread

Hi all,

Just got my new aerial in the post today after the other one was nicked. It's come with 2 screws, a 6mm one and a 5mm one, however neither of them fit. Does anyone know what the thread size (for the hole in the base of the aerial holding bit) should be? I don't want to buy an official aerial just yet in case the base itself is broken :confused:

They are M5 (5mm) (just been out and wound an M5 nut on mine to check then double checked the base with an M5 plug tap.....

(bit of grease on there but you can see the thread

6694715799_1e53e98743_b.jpg

and your base should look like this

6694717425_95d34d38de_b.jpg

just wonder if its been snapped off and you have been left with the remaining stud off the antenna stuck in the base?

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, great idea using an M5 bolt to check. First I had a look in the base, all seemed well so I tried screwing in an M5 bolt I had lying around in the garage, luckily it fitted! You had me worried :p

IMG_5807.JPG

By the way the car's not dirty that's the reflection of the artex ceiling in the garage!

Anyway once I took this bolt out, I compared it to the thread I got with the new aerial, and it's smaller than M5, but bigger than M4 :bang: So I'll be sending this picture to the seller and asking for a refund.

IMG_5812.JPG

Moral of the story is don't buy cheap and cheerful

Last edited:
IMG_5812.JPG

Moral of the story is don't buy cheap and cheerful

Is that an M5 thread that goes into the aerial itself in that picture of the stud ?

take a nut wind it onto the M5 bolt and clamp it in a vise and hacksaw your bolt down to the same length file the end you cut the wind the nut over to clean up the threads wind that end into the aerial (so your left with a proper lead in thread to fit into the mast mount blather in grease and fit ) (then if you find reception is crap return it) :D

PS your car could do with a wash :devil:

Is that an M5 thread that goes into the aerial itself in that picture of the stud ?

take a nut wind it onto the M5 bolt and clamp it in a vise and hacksaw your bolt down to the same length file the end you cut the wind the nut over to clean up the threads wind that end into the aerial (so your left with a proper lead in thread to fit into the mast mount blather in grease and fit ) (then if you find reception is crap return it) :D

PS your car could do with a wash :devil:

It's an M6 thread that goes in to the aerial otherwise I would have done that. I'll just return it and buy a better one that hopefully fits.

PS Shhh http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=247613

Already seen it and commented accordingly :devil:

dont know if this will be of interest to you

https://www.fiatforum.com/car-care/182419-started-machine-polish-gp.html

Thanks lol..

Yeah I've just had a read of that, quite handy thanks, the GP is a nice car to start on, fairly easy to correct. I'll be trying a different polishing compound next time though, with another write up :)
Did you do the whole car with a 6" pad? I'm thinking of getting a smaller one for next time.

No with the DA i mainly used these

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/elite-100x25mm-4-blue-polishing-spot-pad.php?cPath=69

I found the larger pads "bogged down" and gave less cut due to the friction created ( i take it you have seen dave KG's DA polishing guide?)

since the DAS 6 Kestral is not a forced rotation put too much pressure on it, It stops rotating

Simple test / guide is to get a marker pen and draw a thick ish line on the radius of the backing plate (ie half way across) you can then see how much force it takes to bog it down and come off the pressure if it happens.....

have a look at this chaps videos as well he is very good at explaining

basicly your buff daddy is a Porta cable

Last edited:
Back