Technical Grande punto abarth t jet suddenly dies in driving or at idle

Currently reading:
Technical Grande punto abarth t jet suddenly dies in driving or at idle

nix599

Hello i have big problem and i need help,so car just dies while driving(gas pedal does not respond) sometimes it dies while at idle sometimes at driving,there is no check engine or any code that comes up at diagnostic,car starts fine and drives fine then suddenly my car shuts down,no errors on diagnostic no check engine light, when i want to start my car sometimes it starts up again normal and sometimes its just cranking but not starting,if it starts up then after 1-2 miles it just dies again sometimes i can drive 50 miles and nothing sometimes i cant make 2 miles and it dies, changed the crankshaft and camshaft sensor,i can hear fuel pump working everytime i turn the key on,checked the fuse box everything ok, dont know what is happening with the car,sometimes when it dies and i want to start it again it just cranks but no start and sometimes it turns back on normal,i never have experienced this and really dont know what to do please help car is abarth grande punto t jet 155 hp year 2009

It may be related to a bad earth cable on top of the gearbox. Change it.

Other possibilities could be a bad fuel pump anyway. It works for a while and suddenly dies. Have the fuel pressure checked.

For those two sensors you changed, you may need to carry out a procedure called "Phonic wheel relearn". Google it.

Hi :)

Whats your history with the car?

Great for the last 10,000 miles.. then suddenly dies.. or a gradual worsening??

Sound like you have an electrical issue

BUT if it always cranks..then I suspect the main earth is potentially ok

Easy test:
When it next does..

Put a jumper cable from battery negative to engine metalwork.. then crank

If it makes a difference.. replace the main earth cable

Hello and thanks for advices, the car runs great no problems at all then just died and this problem started to continue, its really annoying because one day i will make 50 miles and car will not die and other day i will make 2 miles and car will die on me,sometimes its just cranking sometimes i take the key out and put it in like 10 seconds after and car starts normal the again it dies after few miles sometimes when it dies there is no chance to start back up normal it only cranks, when it cranks rpm goes up 250-350 rpm but car does not start, when it was cranking we checked the fuel hose is it getting any fuel and it was ok, i did not checked the fuel pressure will check it and will do phonic wheel relearn, i will take any advice i can get because this is happening already a week and its still happening and no ECU errors on diagnostic and anything on dash its like everything its ok but it is not,few mechanics dont know what is happening with my car they never experienced this behavior of car they were sure it is crankshaft sensor,sensor is changed 2 times and nothing

I think if pump is bad, its bad all time. Because issue became randomly, I also point to bad earth contact somewhere. So I will start with all grounds inside engine compartment, clean connections. Then check all fuse and rellay contacts, clean it with cleaning spray. I think its bad ground somewhere because in ECU are no error codes. Plus clean connectors to ECU (with unplugged battery). Phonic wheel re-learn is useless in this case

Last edited:
Pretty much the same symptoms of a Citroen ZX Volcane my mother once owned. She used to drive it with hardly any Petrol in it all the time and that caused the pump to fail which started by the engine cutting out while driving and it would restart fine and continue on but then cut out again to the point where it cut out and didn’t restart until a new fuel pump was fitted. I think they can get weak/slowly fail as well as just die once if that makes sense.

Update car is fixed, it was ECU fault some kind of chip was bad and had to replace it, it was good that i did not have to buy ECU its still my original ECU but they replaced some kind of chip in it, thank you guys for trying to help me :)

Thank you for letting us know. Was the chip related to the ignition? I think driving with bad spark plugs sort of kills the ECU.

Thank you for letting us know. Was the chip related to the ignition? I think driving with bad spark plugs sort of kills the ECU.

I unfortunately dont know if the chip was related to the ignition

Back