General Grande Punto 1.2 Stripes: Performance

Currently reading:
General Grande Punto 1.2 Stripes: Performance

Midnight_Blue

I may be getting a new new GP 'stripes' soon, as a replacement for my overheating mk1 punto 60s, which i have written some posts about...anyway, i was always hoping to upgrade to the 1.4 GP when i did get it (was waiting till next year, but the mk1 repair bill was too much), but due to cost and insurance reasons, it looks like i will have to go for the 1.2. Looks wise, it's amazing, and looks the part...just worried about performance issues. my 1.2 was pretty nippy, although it was stretched on motorways and slip raod acceleration, but i'm wondering if anyone knows if there is much of an improvement compared to mk1 and mk2 puntos? don't like the look of the figures at the mo...can anyone who has driven it tell me what it is like and how it compares to other similar cars?

cheers

yeah you don't buy a 1.2 GP with a veiw to performance. Its an economical and cheap to insure little car.
Stripe is good value for money tho.
Almost all the looks of an active sport with the Blue and Me and cheaper insurance thanks to its baby engine. :)

Tectonic plates accelerate quicker. But its more than capable of keeping up with traffic which really is all you need. :)

cheers for the replies...was pretty much expecting it. guess performance ain't everything! still a shame my mates' 1.4s and 1.6s will burn it to shame though :( . But for ~ £7000 brand new can't really argue!

I've got a 1.2 and get on fine with it. It teaches you how to use gears properly as you have to have the revs in the 2500-3500 range for accelerating purposes (overtakes etc) as the torque isn't so great.

I do 50 miles a day in mine and even my the 1.2 handles the B roads I take - best of all 45mpg :)

The 1.2 aint a bad little engine, ive had a couple as courtesy cars and have to admit it doesnt accelerate with much urgency and even if you rev it hard it doesnt really feel like its doing much.. . It gets up to speed ok and cruises alright on the motorway, handling is good, the 5 speed box shifts well and the spec for that price is pretty damn good! :)

Back