General GP "SOUND" specification

Currently reading:
General GP "SOUND" specification

Grandepuntoperson

Taken collection this morning of a new GP "Sound" 3 door.

It's presumably the "run-out" model of the older Punto, heavily discounted (£7195 in some dealers) 1.4 eight valve 77 bhp, but despite looking around I couldn't be sure of the specification.

It has:

one full remote key with separate boot opening button, which is just as well with no external lock - just the button on the dash.

It has no:

"blue and me"

spare wheel (in common with most, if not all, UK spec 2010 cars) just a can of goo and a pump.

-----

It's early days yet, but it seems OK, if a bit stiff with 12 miles on the clock having driven it 10 miles home.

-----

I think the dealers are getting a bit desperate to hit targets this month, and be open to some arm twisting if you're in the market for a basic GP.

I just bought a new white GP Sound today, arrives next week. It reminds me of my old white Strada from way back.

I guess I can get a 'proper' spare from the breakers, will any recent Punto wheel fit?

I see your in Brum which dealer did you use?
Startins, in Redditch, who were more than the price shown above... but I didn't get around to arguing the point as they gave over the odds for my old "Mk2B" Punto.

I saw the lower price in Aylesbury (Perrys?), but it's a fair trek despite living close to the M42.

Last edited:
300 odd miles and 4 days on, it seems mostly OK, and is starting to loosen up a little bit.

A collection of ramblings and observations:

The only significant ? what was that? so far is the occasional loud click (front suspension area) reversing with a good handfull of left hand lock already on when starting to move.

(left hand turn into parking slot, parked with lock still on, and reverse out along the same track IYKWIM).

hopefully getting the rear tyres down from 2.25 Bar to 2.00 Bar will stop it bunny hopping around bumpy corners.

do all the 1.4's wheeze on quickly lifting the throttle?

I find it too easy to stall. (has it got an inlet manifold air leak?)

Isn't the gearing a bit "short"? just over 3500 rpm at 70 in 5th.. my old 1.2 Active Punto was nearer 3000 at 70. But having said that, the gears on the GrandePunto do stack together nicely - keeps "on the boil" so to speak.

And the brakes are _very_ sharp.

I have still to find out if the headlights are as good as the old "2B Punto"

Excellent. I pick mine up on Friday. Did yours come with the goo and pump 'Fix and Go' contraption instead of a spare wheel?

(Edit: I re-read the original post. Duh) Yes.

I'm hoping for a cigar lighter socket in the boot, too, but I didn't see one at the dealers today. Some-one on here said the wiring might be in place ( on the left) though.

Are you enjoying driving the car? I'm 'downsizing' from a Golf GT, so slightly anxious about loosing 133 HP to the Fiat. :)

Last edited:
Are you enjoying driving the car? I'm 'downsizing' from a Golf GT, so slightly anxious about loosing 133 HP to the Fiat. :)
Compared with my previous shape Punto:

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer:
as mentioned above, the gearing is "short" - even this early on in it's life when it's warmed up I seem to be block shifting gears on the change up 1st/3rd/5th, unless proper progress is needed.
Also it's quite happy doing "30 something" in 5th, and consequently feels as if you could do with a 6th gear on the motorway.

Regarding power, well it has 17 bhp more than my old Punto, so it's an improvement for me. But I have a feeling you're going to be frustrated with yours as it has so much less power than your old Golf.

Regarding Golfs, or things from that stable, my Mrs. has a year old Skoda Fabia - built with bits out of the VW corporate parts bin - and the fit of the parts and quality of interior plastics is better than my new Punto. But for a bit over seven grand, what can you expect?

But the thing you will notice straight away is the sensitivity of the brake pedal - one gentle touch and you stop very abruptly.

Another odd thing about the brakes is that the servo has virtually no "reserve" - if you press the pedal once when the engine is stopped the servo assistance is gone before you've fully pushed the pedal: pedal goes hard.
I suppose the servo must be very small, as I think it's hiding inbetween the two parts of the bulkhead.

Then there's the clutch.
I'm not sure if I've found the best combination of seat height, and steering wheel reach/rake yet, but I still find I can stall it too easily.
Perhaps the engine just gives in if I'm not feeding enough power, or maybe the angle my left foot is at is awkward just at the bite point.

For all that, it's a better place to be - more stable, "planted", for want of a better description - and less tiring to drive long distances, despite having similar electronic power steering which continues the tradition of being both sharp and vague at the same time.

Last edited:
Thank you GP person, that's all very helpful. The new Panda had a light clutch too. Ugh.

Speaking of slow progress the (new) Panda 4x4 was the slowest car in the world. It was reputed to 'hit' 60 mph in 20 seconds. The Golf does it in less than half that time, but of course, the lure of a new car for £7.5K is great. My Strada, I liked , and I hope I shall like the Punto.

The trick with the Panda, was to drive 'con brio', and take no prisoners so I'm not too worried: I once P/X'd an Audio Quattro Coupe for a Fiat 126 bis, and thought that the 126 was more fun, and less prone to waking up constables. The short gears on the Punto you mention are perhaps there to help get the thing up to speed briskly.

I'll try and report back on the cog-box when the new Grande Punto arrives. The interior looks a bit 'Golfy' at least, all the knobs seem to be in the same position. The change is only down to me moving back to the city and finding that even a Golf is too big to park, sometimes.

For Shaun; my Strada did pretty well for a couple of years, er white, with blue factory tints. (I know, I know) . I always got a lot more fun out of the smaller Fiats than I did out of Mercs and VW's. And at lower speed.

The only Fiat which rusted on me was a 1300 X19, designed by Bert One. But then it slept out in the rain, and I'll never trust that recipe again. The GP is a Giugiaro design I think? I always thought the guy was genius after the first VW Scirroco.

Has anyone succesfully shoved a full size mountain bike in the back of a Grande Punto?

Brmm Brmm: can't wait. Brmmm Brmmmmmm.

Back