General GP Abarth

Currently reading:
General GP Abarth

T-Jet 120

Its a Sporthing
Heard some news from my dealer yesterday about the abarth release. i don't know if any of it is true so don't quote me on it, they said it is very unlikely to be released this year due to the release of the bravo. apparently all the t-jet 150 engines are being used for the bravo, and due to popular demand of the t-jet 150 bravo it takes priority over the GP Abarth. :confused: As said don't quote me on it.

that suggests to me that they should just release the 2L 220bhp 4wheel drive version that has been going round and round the rumour mill

Heard some news from my dealer yesterday about the abarth release. i don't know if any of it is true so don't quote me on it, they said it is very unlikely to be released this year due to the release of the bravo. apparently all the t-jet 150 engines are being used for the bravo, and due to popular demand of the t-jet 150 bravo it takes priority over the GP Abarth. :confused: As said don't quote me on it.

Do they build only two of them engines a week? The Bravo is so popular that you find only a few on the road. In a weeks time in France I have seen only 1 Bravo on the road and that one sounded more like a Diesel. In the UK I have seen since the launch more in 1 dealer4s show room than on the road.

that suggests to me that they should just release the 2L 220bhp 4wheel drive version that has been going round and round the rumour mill
1.4 and 1.8 150bhp and 180 bhp respectively,150 T-JET abarth due out september more like november but according to the motoring press its september. 2.0 220bhp 4 wheel drive very unlikely but its strange the silence that surrounds it.but the 120bhp t-jet 1.4 8v just appeared out of the blue.the fiat salesman freind i know didnt even know about it til it was delivered to the showroom.fiat are terrible with the pr of the new additions to any range he said not very forthcoming at all.we will just have to wait and see.i am 1st in the que up my way.the deposit is ready and waiting.......:D

do they have plans for a super powered diesel? Be great if they stuffed a remaped 1.9 16V engine in.

do they have plans for a super powered diesel? Be great if they stuffed a remaped 1.9 16V engine in.

yeah that would be the ideal abarth good fuel economy and grunt the alfa 1.9 16v diesel puts out 150bhp standard its in the new bravo more refined smoother and quieter.better than the 8v.that has the potential 190-5bhp if remapped.you never know what fiat have in store i reckon its got a good chance of making its way into the punto don't see it as a rival to the bravo no toe stepping.(y)

It's becoming more and more common that car manufacturers are producucing diesel counterparts of their high end petrol cars:

Golf GT- 170bhp diesel
Megane dci 175bhp diesel
Leon FR 170bhp diesel

these cars look part the with often the same styling as the petrols (apart form the golf)

The megane looks exactly the same as a 225!

It's becoming more and more common that car manufacturers are producucing diesel counterparts of their high end petrol cars:

Golf GT- 170bhp diesel
Megane dci 175bhp diesel
Leon FR 170bhp diesel

these cars look part the with often the same styling as the petrols (apart form the golf)

The megane looks exactly the same as a 225!

Funny old thing Kris... In 2006 approx 33% of new car sales were diesels (nearly all turbo-diesel). Here are the cars I've owned since Nov 2003 with MY views:

Nov 2003 - new Mazda RX-8 231: 18 mpg & £650 insurance(!!!) - it lasted 6 weeks for me... Changed for brand new VW R32 Jan 2004 - 22mpg & £650 insurance. I kept that for a year but had a TDi 150 as a courtesy car for a week & swear the TDi was faster in the real world of overtaking power on country roads.

Smart Brabus Roadster: 50 odd mpg, £115.00 insurance but ran out of guts above 80mph.

Audi TT225 Quattro: 32mpg, £350 insurance. Great quality car.

Lotus Elise S2 last year as a second car: 40 odd mpg but it sounded like a tractor!! It lasted 8 weeks.

July 2006 - BMW 3.0SE AC Schnitzer Z4: 32mpg, insurance £215.00. Fantastic mpg for the performance. Sold it in August 2007 & bought my first ever diesel (I'm 50) - A GPS 130 Punto: £140 insurance.... Very very impressed with the smoothness, performance & hilarious economy - but not so with the hard shiney plastic low-rent interior or the rubbish "Blue&Me" voice activated system - that refuses to understand me - a useless gimmick. So much so that I fitted a Dragon Performance box last week, pushing the bhp to around 170. I've only had the Punto for 2 weeks yet decided that I will never go back to a petrol engined performance car. It's a no brainer! - lower road tax, much lower insurance, better real world performance & more than twice the mpg of equivalent powered (BHP) petrol cars.

In fact, I've just bought a 200bhp JTDM Alfa Brera SV. My Dragon Box is being re-mapped today to give 230BHP (min), 400nm torque & 44mpg..... That says it all. I'm afraid that technology has come on leaps & bounds & with a turbo-diesel we can totally transform the driveability, enormously upgrade the BHP & Torque - yet with massively improved MPG for less than £300. Work out what a 30-50BHP gain on a petrol engine costs! - Upwards of £2000.:D

Last edited:
Funny old thing Kris... In 2006 approx 33% of new car sales were diesels (nearly all turbo-diesel). Here are the cars I've owned since Nov 2003 with MY views:

Nov 2003 - new Mazda RX-8 231: 18 mpg & £650 insurance(!!!) - it lasted 6 weeks for me... Changed for brand new VW R32 Jan 2004 - 22mpg & £650 insurance. I kept that for a year but had a TDi 150 as a courtesy car for a week & swear the TDi was faster in the real world of overtaking power on country roads.

Smart Brabus Roadster: 50 odd mpg, £115.00 insurance but ran out of guts above 80mph.

Audi TT225 Quattro: 32mpg, £350 insurance. Great quality car.

Lotus Elise S2 last year as a second car: 40 odd mpg but it sounded like a tractor!! It lasted 8 weeks.

July 2006 - BMW 3.0SE AC Schnitzer Z4: 32mpg, insurance £215.00. Fantastic mpg for the performance. Sold it in August 2007 & bought my first ever diesel (I'm 50) - A GPS 130 Punto: £140 insurance.... Very very impressed with the smoothness, performance & hilarious economy - but not so with the hard shiney plastic low-rent interior or the rubbish "Blue&Me" voice activated system - that refuses to understand me - a useless gimmick. So much so that I fitted a Dragon Performance box last week, pushing the bhp to around 170. I've only had the Punto for 2 weeks yet decided that I will never go back to a petrol engined performance car. It's a no brainer! - lower road tax, much lower insurance, better real world performance & more than twice the mpg of equivalent powered (BHP) petrol cars.

In fact, I've just bought a 200bhp JTDM Alfa Brera SV. My Dragon Box is being re-mapped today to give 230BHP (min), 400nm torque & 44mpg..... That says it all. I'm afraid that technology has come on leaps & bounds & with a turbo-diesel we can totally transform the driveability, enormously upgrade the BHP & Torque - yet with massively improved MPG for less than £300. Work out what a 30-50BHP gain on a petrol engine costs! - Upwards of £2000.:D

Thats quite a nice car portfolio mike!

I never considered a diesel car, I just thought 'slow, sound bad and smoke'

Then I had a drive of a friends golf gt tdi 130, mapped to 170bhp and I was completely converted.

Test drove the grande 1.9 sporting and bought it!

Lets look at it logically:

170bhp (with map obviously)
Insurance group 6
up to 60 mpg

Like you said it's a no brainer! Not to mention the fact they look great!

Don't think i'll go back to petrol.

Like also mentioned diesels have come on so much over the last few years they are now losing their bad repuatation!

Last edited:
Keeping on topic.... (don't worry mods)

I personally think that fiat won't release the abarth in a 155bhp version.
It would be a silly move, how would they compete witht he likes of a corsa vxr, clio 197 etc?

If you want to spend the cash on a fast hatchback and you have the choice between 197bhp and 155bhp, what would you choose? I know what i'd go for.

I'll eat my hat If it isn't a 2.0 200 bhp turb! *prepares salt and pepper*

Keeping on topic.... (don't worry mods)

I personally think that fiat won't release the abarth in a 155bhp version.
It would be a silly move, how would they compete witht he likes of a corsa vxr, clio 197 etc?

If you want to spend the cash on a fast hatchback and you have the choice between 197bhp and 155bhp, what would you choose? I know what i'd go for.

I'll eat my hat If it isn't a 2.0 200 bhp turb! *prepares salt and pepper*
two variants 150 & 180bhp read the motoring press its being this saying this since fiat showed the car at the 2007 Geneva motor show.do you know of any 2.0litre engine fiat have in the pipeline if they had i am sure it would have 1st appeared in the new bravo or we would have had heard news of it?fiat also have stated there will be tuning kits for the abarth will be available from a company who are involved in the production of the abarth to increase the performance.i am only stating what has been said by fiat and motoring press

it does state in the motoring press that a Grande Punto Abarth with a 2.0 16v turbo engine with 247bhp will be released but for there racing team only.

Hate to p**s in your corn flakes about diesel being great, but repair bills are alot more specially the injection system etc. Know someone who had a M-jet and managed to get sand in his diesel (bought from tesco :rolleyes:). Cost him £1950 for new injection system. Know a simlar situation where someone got effected with the silicone petrol thing also from tesco and it only cost him £750 to get most of his fuel system replaced.

Back on topic I don't see the point in doing the 150/155bhp one at all seems pointless as it won't keep up with the rivals. Saying that I think the 120bhp one is pointless not that much faster in the 'real world' than the N/A 1.4 16v and it costs more, burns more fuel and has more bits to go kaput.

it does state in the motoring press that a Grande Punto Abarth with a 2.0 16v turbo engine with 247bhp will be released but for there racing team only.

Dream on.... 247bhp in a little Fiat is absolutely uninsurable in the UK. It ain't going to happen. Neither is a 180BHP Punto Abarth. Fiat UK aren't totally stupid (I hope!). 155/160 BHP is the max they will market & that will come at a price - I guess insurance group 16 - just for the silly "Abarth" logo (read small boys with more money than sense!)

Mike;)

Dream on.... 247bhp in a little Fiat is absolutely uninsurable in the UK. It ain't going to happen. Neither is a 180BHP Punto Abarth. Fiat UK aren't totally stupid (I hope!). 155/160 BHP is the max they will market & that will come at a price - I guess insurance group 16 - just for the silly "Abarth" logo (read small boys with more money than sense!)

Mike;)

I can see where you come from with that comment as Alfa is suppose to be Fiat's 'Sport & Performance' brand. And im pretty sure an insane hot hatch like that with those sorts of power would take sales away from the 147 and probably the Brera.

Mike;)

He said 247bhp was for racing teams only, and as such wouldn't require to be insured for the road. ;)
180bhp will be a booster kit for the 150bhp. :)

My comment about the 2L turbo was exaggerated

Fiat won't be making a car with 200bhp, neither will their only model be a 155bhp. The simple fact as I stated before is that fiat cannot compete in the fast hatch market with 155bhp, people will go elsewhere for a fast(er) hatch.

example: fiesta ST - top end fiesta, 2L engine very nice car with only 150 bhp. You would never compare it to a clio 197, corsa vxr or any other top end hach because it is simply not on par with them. yet it is at the same end of the market as them

The abarth will flop if it isn't quick enough. Fiat need all the help they can get with the release publicity of their new cars because god knows they won't sell on reputaion alone.

I can't wait to see what the ACTUAL abarth is going to be if not to shut us all up :rolleyes:

Back