General GP Abarth

Currently reading:
General GP Abarth

150bhp is good for a gp it will take the 0-60 to less than 8 sec as for 180bhp with the booster kit on should see it go well under 8 sec those times are fast enough for me aswell as grande punto.as for insurance groups it wont be far off 16 not a problem for me no claims and 40 yrs old ..........:D

A lot of manufacturers seem to be going down the route of using smaller units with turbo's and this in turn is showing lower BHP figures but larger torque figures and lower 0-60's and this is why (as much as i agree with what most are saying) you dont need 200+bhp to compete now.

Take Peugeot for example:

207 GTi is a 1.6 16v Turbo, 175bhp, 195lb/ft and 0-60 7.1 seconds
206 GTi is a 2.0 16v NA, 180bhp, 152lb/ft and 0-60 7.8 seconds

Turbo technology has moved on so much recently, twin scroll turbo's for example is a massive move as it near enough eliminates turbo lag completely.

Rich

ATurbo technology has moved on so much recently, twin scroll turbo's for example is a massive move as it near enough eliminates turbo lag completely.

Rich

if that is the case how come the new vw gt comes wiht a supercharger and a turbo charger why not have just fitted a twin scroll turbo

if that is the case how come the new vw gt comes wiht a supercharger and a turbo charger why not have just fitted a twin scroll turbo

Thats a different story though. That used to be used in old rally cars and is a great idea IMO. The reason they have probably gone for that ahead of a twin scroll is that with a supercharger it is driven by a belt which means as long as the engine is running the supercharger is going whereas a turbo requires exhaust gases. Im unsure as to how expensive each option is so that may also have something to do with it. Either way both are great solutions.

Rich

Turbo technology has moved on so much recently, twin scroll turbo's for example is a massive move as it near enough eliminates turbo lag completely.

Rich

When you say twin scroll turbo's do you then mean variable geometry turbo's (as used on many diesel engines)?
Because currently the only production petrol/gasoline car using variable geometry turbo's is the Porsche 911 Turbo.
The turbo's on the T-JET are fixed geometry turbo's.

aren't we all going off topic gentlemen...?twin scroll turbos superchargers yes i know the vw 1.4 tsfsi has both turbo and superghargerJEREMY CLARCKSON and i quote"its a terrible engine don't buy it save longer buy a gti"as for porches turbos we wouldn't be on this forum if we could afford 1.....:D the abarth will be the GP to have top dog 180bhp petrol engine in a GP it will fly fast enough for any of us and the fastest fiat in years if not the fastest as current production models go will be a good match for a corsa vxr"horrendous looking in that blue metallic colour" and cooper Ss a remap multi-jet is faster than that.so think we should all start saving as clarkson said......:D

Speechless...

9070903.004.Mini1L.jpg

9070903.004.Mini2L.jpg

The GP Abarth SS

To revealed at the Frankfurt motorshow.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070903.004/fiat-grande-punto-abarth-ss-concept-debut-in-frankfurt

Press Release:

The legendary Abarth ‘Scorpion’ returns

After the official presentation in March this year, Abarth now makes its return at the Frankfurt Motor Show. One of the most prestigious brands in world motorsports. Abarth has always been synonymous with aggressive cars, competitiveness, passion and excitement, and it now returns with a new range that will appeal to all lovers of motor racing.

The stand will focus on two important concepts linked to the brand’s revival, which represent the most characteristic aspects of its identity: on one hand, the racing world, and on the other, conversions and boosted performance achieved by the application of highly technological solutions in a simple, intuitive package.

The first concept is presented very effectively with the display of a Grande Punto Abarth S2000, positioned on a large steel platform in the shape of a scorpion, to underline both the power and the unique nature of the technical features of this car.

The second concept is expressed on the stand in two different ways. First of all, there is a large photo-quality configurator, that allows visitors to appreciate and examine hands-on the elements that are important in the conversion world. But the real novelty at the show is the Grande Punto Abarth “essesse” (Super Sport) prototype, exhibited on a large glass platform, under which are a number of 3D monitors. These sophisticated screens project the components of the conversion kit which have made the basic version of the Grande Punto Abarth even more powerful and aggressive, in the best tradition of the Scorpion.

The Grande Punto Abarth went on the market this month, equipped with the 1.4 petrol Turbo engine that delivers 150 bhp at 5500 rpm (boosted to 155 bhp if 98 RON petrol is used) combined with a mechanical 6-speed gearbox that takes it to a top speed of 208 km/h, accelerating from 0 to 100 km/h in just 8.2 seconds. This is the Abarth’s first interpretation of the Grande Punto, but the initiative will soon be extended to other models.

Grande Punto Abarth “essesse” prototype (Super Sport)

The absolute star of the stand is the Grande Punto Abarth “essesse” (Super Sport) prototype. A jewel of assertiveness and elegance, the car is offered with a booster kit that almost doubles its power output with relation to the basic model (up to almost 180 bhp). The ‘“essesse”’ kit also envisages a number of specific elements that accentuate both the sporty look of the Abarth model (for example adhesives with the ‘essesse’ logo or a chequered flag) and its dynamic behaviour, with a particular low stance or a more powerful braking system. This is a feature that maintains a brand tradition: for example, the Fiat 500 of 1958 delivered 13 bhp at 4000 rpm and a top speed of 85 km/h, while the Fiat 500 Abarth of the same year, produced 26 bhp at 5000 rpm and a top speed of 118 km/h.

The Grande Punto Abarth and the Grande Punto Abarth with the ‘essesse’ kit aim to revive the thrill of those cars, offering an opportunity, addressed to the young in particular, of entering the racing world in total safety and at an accessible price.

Grande Punto Abarth S2000

The public in Frankfurt will also be able to admire the extraordinary Grande Punto Abarth S2000. This is a racing car designed for racing stables, and under the management of Abarth Racing Operations, it is competing in the 2007 Italian Rally Championship, with Giandomenico Basso and his navigator Mitia Dotta, and the IRC (Intercontinental Rally Challenge) with drivers Anton Alen, Andrea Navarra and Umberto Scandola.

Powered by a 2000 cc aspirated engine that delivers 270 bhp, with 4-wheel drive, the new Grande Punto Abarth S2000 is the heir to the version that won the 2006 European title and the Intercontinental Rally Challenge with Giandomenico Basso and Mitia Dotta, and took the 2006 Italian Rally Championship winning 7 races.

We must underline that the approximately 25 cars built so far have been ordered by several racing stables in Europe and elsewhere, to compete in domestic and international rallies. And now, thanks to this technological superiority, the new Grande Punto Abarth S2000 tackles these two championships as the title-holder, with the same determination.

The head of Racing Operations for Abarth & C. Spa is Claudio Berro, who can draw on a staff with a great deal of experience in the racing sector as well as a team of outstanding drivers.

lets all go to the frankfurt motor show:cool: although i do prefer the one from the geneva motorshow this 1 is a bit 2 fast 2 furious for old jassyo.......?:D

it also says the abarth 150bhp is out this month where in the hell is it....??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:bang:

it also says the abarth 150bhp is out this month where in the hell is it....??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:bang:

I reckon that might be in the rest of Europe?? not sure though.

Think if the 500 Abarth gets this kinda treatment its going to look awesome to.

I reckon that might be in the rest of Europe?? not sure though.

Think if the 500 Abarth gets this kinda treatment its going to look awesome to.
as i have said in previous posts November looks more likely.i was told by a reliable source.if it was out i am sure 1 of the motoring mags would have got a hold of 1.they always give them a dozen or so to them to thrash about in a month or two before it hits the showrooms.i will eat my shorts to coin a phrase :D if they put 200bhp in a road going production car of either gp or 500..........:eek: :D

as i have said in previous posts November looks more likely.i was told by a reliable source.if it was out i am sure 1 of the motoring mags would have got a hold of 1.they always give them a dozen or so to them to thrash about in a month or two before it hits the showrooms.i will eat my shorts to coin a phrase :D if they put 200bhp in a road going production car of either gp or 500..........:eek: :D

I think its ****** I don't even think there going to put that power in a GP never mind a 500!. That would take sales away from the GP for a cheaper car = bad for business!.

lol no one knows whats happenin, there is loads of rumours floatin around, we'll just have to wait and see.

I think its ****** I don't even think there going to put that power in a GP never mind a 500!. That would take sales away from the GP for a cheaper car = bad for business!.
ditto but i dont think the 500 will much cheaper at all than the gp.its in the same ball park.you wont get a discounted 500 for at least 10 months going on a year.jesus you can get 2 grand off a gp sporting.so the 500 will be more expensive all down to supply and demand and the 500 is sold out already.maybe i will get a better price for a gp abarth since every person walking into a fiat showroom will be buying a 500???????:D

Back