Technical GP 1.2 performance

Currently reading:
Technical GP 1.2 performance

Claudiot

Hi friends. i'm new on this forum but i've noticed that this forum is a must for all Fiat owners, keep up the good advises. Well i'm from Malta and got my new GP 1.2 3 months ago as i couldn't resist it's looks. The problem is that in my opinion the 1.2 engine is weak for the car itself, is there anything i can do to improve the torque as i'm also consedering to sell the car.

Tnx for the reply, I wanted the 14.5 16 valve engine or the abarth, but i was informed by the dealer that the orange colour was out of production and i wanted the colour badly, but today i encourage interested people to test drive before buying as i would rather sacrifice the colour for performance, besides i am also having other problems like airbag failure, mulfunctioning horn, poor audio and also found out that the car was low leveled in oil. I only have 3000 miles clocked.

Cant imagine, under ANY circumstances, anyone would buy a car without a test drive? :eek:

Totally agree after extensivly test driving every model in the range (before t-jet) the 1.2 really is a pointless engine in the GP. The bare minimum in my opinion is the 1.4 8v and even then its very sluggish just alot more bareable than the 1.2. Also they are thirsty as you need to drive them quite hard to get anywhere in time.

My friend also on the forum 'oxo' had a 1.4 8v Active sport and he was getting about 36-39 mpg on average if he drove it nicely. I can get near that in my Alfa 156 160bhp 2.0TS weekend toy :eek: .

I suppose it all depends what you expect. I have a 1.2 and get on fine with it.
Fuel economy is good (47mpg) and it moves fast enough for me - all be it sometimes it requires a little thrashing.

I'd rather have a 1.2 than the cars I drive at work which have quick 1.8 engines but drink petrol.

the 1.2s alright! im only 18 and 17 when i got it, its low 2 inshur.

iv gon down to cornwall and back (600 mils) and no problems did about 46 mpg with a tone of stuff in the back, it defenutly classes as zippy, but not fast if you get my drift..... i love it, no dout in the future ill get sumpthink beefeyer but this will do me fine! love it :D

Tom

Last edited:
the 1.2s alright! im only 18 and 17 when i got it, its low 2 inshur.

Tom

i'm only 18 and i'm getting the T-JET sporting, never thought i could afford so was goin to get the active sport but decided not to settle for second best, life is for living, so i ordered one :)

The 1.2 is a cheap to run decent car that younger drivers can afford to start off with (and others who dont put alot of importance on cars) much better than the datsun cherry/toyota corolla/mazda 121 rustbuckets when I was young.

(any comments on my age will off course be duly deleted:devil: )

I find the performance of the 1.4 8v adequate,but you have to hold it to about 5k revs in first and second gear when moving from a standstill. As for petrol consumption I`m getting nearly 50mph if you believe the on -board computer. If you want performance buy a Coupe,but be prepared to pay for the Group 17 insurance,25-30mph and cambelt changes at between £500-£600 a shot!

I find the performance of the 1.4 8v adequate,but you have to hold it to about 5k revs in first and second gear when moving from a standstill. As for petrol consumption I`m getting nearly 50mph if you believe the on -board computer. If you want performance buy a Coupe,but be prepared to pay for the Group 17 insurance,25-30mph and cambelt changes at between £500-£600 a shot!

:yeahthat:

Everything about it is adequate. Performance, mpg, handling, space. What was excellent was paying just over £7.5k for a brand new one!

Nothing came close to being all-round adequate for that price and the GP looks stunning next to other cars of its class.

I have a 1.2 active and i think it's ace, if anyone knows about sacrificing power for better mpg it's me, my previous car was a honda civic type r, i can't begin to explain how good the ivtec is, but it had to go as it was drinking almost £50 a week some weeks, i stood and watched my dream car be driven away:(, i had a 1.2 "yellow" 1.2 active sport punto before the type r so thought i'd get the grande punto 1.2 active, the only regret i have is the power "it has none" but other than that it's a cracking little car, does everything i need it to do.

Cant imagine, under ANY circumstances, anyone would buy a car without a test drive? :eek:

i bought my 1.2 active without having a drive, i walked, had a look, 20mins later left with finance contract,

moving from a 2.0L 16V turbo 4x4 Coupe (tuned) nothing in the range was going to impress me anyway, and could not really imagine it would be such a bad driving experiance so no test drive was needed

a have a 1.2 and my partner has the 1.4 and minez pulls away much faster than his n even he says that, a think they swapd the engines wen we wurny lookin tho :D

i bought my 1.2 active without having a drive, i walked, had a look, 20mins later left with finance contract,

Salespersons dream! :eek:

moving from a 2.0L 16V turbo 4x4 Coupe (tuned) nothing in the range was going to impress me anyway, and could not really imagine it would be such a bad driving experiance so no test drive was needed

People never cease to amaze me... why buy a GP then? A used K11 Micra would have sufficed for a grand or so! :confused: :chin::chin::spin::spin:

Back