Technical GP 1.2 performance

Currently reading:
Technical GP 1.2 performance

Well the fact it was advertised @ 0% APR finance, i needed summit reliable for a couple of years as my calibra was costing me a fortune and the fact the mot ran out and paying £100 a week for a hire car was not practical compaired to £148 a month for this GP,, it looks ok but it does not have anything that my cally did not have.

I agree and undersatand the 'rapid car phase' and why people don't strive to own a faster car as they get older. But a type r to a GP 1.2 or similar jumps from faster cars boggle me. If its mpg you're bothered about then grab a quicker diesel.

I couldn't go down to a 1.2 from what I have now, driving it would annoy me, I wouldn't be able to overtake slow moving vehicles on certain roads, or pull out onto busy roundabouts/motorways/dual carriageways as safe. I'd still have to have something relatively quick if I had downgraded from something fast.

Last edited:
I agree and undersatand the 'rapid car phase' and why people don't strive to own a faster car as they get older. But a type r to a GP 1.2 or similar jumps from faster cars boggle me. If its mpg you're bothered about then grab a quicker diesel.

I couldn't go down to a 1.2 from what I have now, driving it would annoy me, I wouldn't be able to overtake slow moving vehicles on certain roads, or pull out onto busy roundabouts/motorways/dual carriageways as safe. I'd still have to have something relatively quick if I had downgraded from something fast.

The whole performance thing does bother me as i dont feel as safe in this 1.2 as i cant overtake or pull out with confidence or have to power to pull away from trouble,, this was confirmed 3 hours after i picked it up, i had done about 14 miles, driving home from work, going from an industrial estate 30mph limit onto an unclassified back road, basically 60mph limit, as i approached the Giveway Line i noticed a car coming over the hill, at least 200 yards away, now normally i would have pulled out and got up to speed no problem but in this new car i had two restrictions,
Firstly i new it would not be quick so did not put myself in a position were i was going to cause someone else to brake or endanger themselves overtaking on this dark narrow road
Secondly - as it was such low milage i wanted to keep it below 3-4k revs so the quick decision i made was to stop at the line and let the car pass, well,, the lass behind me was also looking up this hill to see if she would make it out too and never seen me brake to a stop and rammed up my a$$,
Well, its always the person at the backs fault but i did pity her as if i was behind me i would also off been looking up that same hill thinking this person should be pulling out,

So , it has done 400 miles now and i am taking it up to 4k - 4.5k and to be honest its ok for city driving, pulls not bad from the lights for the limited speed you can actually do on these streets, so as a car to get me to work (2 miles) and to the shops it will do for now, but for that drive down to my grans (150 miles) i dont really look forward to it, just have to settle with the fact that it will take an age to overtake, for which i hate other peeps on the road doing, ,, i just like to pull to the outside lane, foot down, pass then pull in, very smooth in the Turbo, the 6 speed box is amazing on the motorway, no need to down shift when in top, it just overboosts nicely and goes from 70 > ??? in no time, you dont even realise it untill you are moving back into the inside lane and glance at the speedo.

All in all the GP 1.2 seems good at what its designed for but the 1.4 16V would of been the engine of choice i think

Back