Got robbed buying a car :(

Currently reading:
Got robbed buying a car :(

i'll try and keep this short..

was down the GF's at newton aycliffe, seen a punto speedgear on the autotrader within a few miles, i suggested going to look at it in the morning before i was at work, he said it's parked up at a shoping centre with a for sale sign to attract attention, met him there checked the car over and had a drive, all the usual, 52k miles with FSH etc and he made a big deal out of this, even on his text he said it was all there.

i was in a rush for work so left him a £50 deposit, took the car reg and his car reg (car he used to get to the punto) i know i shouldn't have done this in a car park etc but he seemed such a nice bloke, i always assume the best in people before proven other wise though :(

anyway, with being in a massive rush for work i aggreed to check over the paper work and everything when i finnished work at 8pm, rang him after work to either meet him at his house or follow him there to do the money and check through the paperwork, he wanted to do it at the car, i wasn't happy!

first thing i done was checked over the paperwork, no service history at all! he didn't see this as a problem because it had some old MOT's and started telling me i'd wasted his time, after me driving 40 mile straight from work :mad:

when i was telling the GF about the no history thing, he jumped in the car and took off with our deposit, i've texted him about it and he's basically laughing saying it's a civil matter.

can't really afford to loose £50 at the min but it's the principle too, i got the GF to ring the police, knowing they wouldn't be interested i got her to tell them i was out looking for them and she wanted them found before i got to them, they were only interested in finding me so we didn't give any more details.

i know the bottom line probably is that i'll put it down to experience and i know i've been daft, story of my life lol

cheers guys!

EDIT

the car

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e/radius/60/postcode/ne214hh/page/2?logcode=p

Last edited:
nope, i rekon i can get it, the car is on the autotrader with his home phone number, planned on getting a friend to ring up as if they wanted to view it and stuff, hopefully he'll give his address and get it that way, but what do i do then?

Did you see the V5?

Get a mate to arrange a viewing of the car - you turn up and block seller in then make a scene about deposit / it's a good car but changed your mind (don't awknowledge your mate in any way) he might give you your money back to shut you up if he thinks your mate is going to buy the car, (your mate will need to be really really interested in it) once you have the cash back your mate says stfu and you both walk away ;)

Did you see the V5?

Get a mate to arrange a viewing of the car - you turn up and block seller in then make a scene about deposit / it's a good car but changed your mind (don't awknowledge your mate in any way) he might give you your money back to shut you up if he thinks your mate is going to buy the car, (your mate will need to be really really interested in it) once you have the cash back your mate says stfu and you both walk away ;)

genius (y)

What did the Police say when you (or your girlfriend) phoned them? Might be worth popping down to your local station saying you want to speak to an officer about getting robbed.

Did you phone 999 or another number? Might be worth remembering not to get your girlfriend to say that shes worried about what you might do, won't look too good on you.

she rang the non emergency line, i did tell her to just ring 999 saying we'd just been robbed though, i'm not really interested in going down the police route as they're worse than useless, always have been and always will be for me, every time i've needed them they've never helped.

if i could get his address i'd be happy.

the phone number could just be for his work if he owns that shop or something otherwise i doubt he'd put 2 phone numbers on the ad.

about your gf mams address being on log book,

when your m8 turns up, get him to look at the log book, but get him to rip it up so the guy hasnt got the adress, im sure he wont remember it. only thing is, he might not give you his £50 deposit back.

about your gf mams address being on log book,

when your m8 turns up, get him to look at the log book, but get him to rip it up so the guy hasnt got the adress, im sure he wont remember it. only thing is, he might not give you his £50 deposit back.

ohh i know i'm not getting the deposit, he has no intention of giving me it and i know this.

the logbook is only £25, but he only has 1 key for the car :devil:

if you find his address, burn the car out, leaving no traces :devil: and a computer printed note on front door saying was this worth £50.
wow, thats a bit worrying i came up with that :eek:

Back