Technical Got my first puncture..to buy a new or repair

Currently reading:
Technical Got my first puncture..to buy a new or repair

Hello

Got my first puncture today in my nice new continentals :'( only got them put on in January!

Any way, the puncture was caused by a rather large screw and im wondering whether or not it is worthwhile having it repaired professionally instead of buying a new conti tyre to match the other side

Any experiences with tyre repairs being good or bad i would like to hear your opinions

Ultimately i would like to salvage the tyre as its pretty much brand new

Thanks

John

I have a few tyre repair places local to me, so going to give them a ring to see how much it costs then take it down

Here is the bolt/screw

G8nwRLR.jpg

Punctures can only be repaired if they are within the centre three-quarters of the tread width, which yours is, so should repair fine. Outside that area, it is deemed too close to the sidewalls and flexing is likely to detach the inner patch.

The screw could be quite a big diameter as punctures go, but its head has prevented it penetrating too far, so hopefully ok. Get to a reputable tyre dealer and let them look inside. If the hole diameter is ok, and no noticeable damage to the tyre structure they can repair it and it will be fine.

Tyre repairs are controlled by law, and must be a mushroom type patch. The head of the mushroom covers the hole inside and the stem fills the hole to keep water out of the tyre structure. Do not use the DIY plugs linked to above, or anything similar, they will not meet regulations and more importantly may let go at speed.

Get it done properly and relax.

have a google for a measure and take it with you some places will say its outside of repairable area even if it isn't just to try and sell you a new tyre, if you have driven on it flat they (should) also refuse to repair it. but again some will try and say you have driven on it when you haven't if that happens tell them to fit spare on then go some where else.

It looks JUST in the repairable section to me - but a measure is best way only

personally i'd get it repaired, there is nothing wrong with a puncture repair as long as its within the centre 75% (ie not on the shoulder or sidewalls)

Since its a nearly new tyre - its daft throwing it away

ziggy

Nah nothing like the ones that are holding my headlights in place, look similar though

I drove over it at a garden centre when taking my gf to work

Back